Chapter Three

I pulled back, stifling a gasp. My heart was pounding so loudly I was sure the demons could hear it.

"What is it, My Lady?" Morterdu asked.

I gestured, trying to calm my breathing. "It's my sister. She's stuck in... in wax?"

I poked my head out again. Morterdu peered over my shoulder. "That doesn't look pleasant," he rumbled.

I took in the courtyard, a dark and ancient-looking ring. Mossy cobble paved circular designs on the floor and ran up the sides, forming twelve looming columns towering over the space like guardians. Faded ruins and pictures decorated each of the stones. Though the place was open to the sky, it felt like enclosed and forbidding. In the center stood a dais, made of weathered marble. A cracked dish sat on top of a small supporting pillar, forming an altar. My sister was just off to the side of it. Whoever "they" were, it looked like they had captured her in the middle of fighting, judging by her panicked look.

As I watched, a dark figure stepped out from the shadows, wearing a long, dark, Egyptian-style dress and a deadly expression on her face. She walked briskly to the altar, and, as she did, the shadows in the courtyard seeped toward her. Upon reaching the dais, they began standing up, taking on a three-dimensional shape. Unlike demons, who are created irregularly with all sorts of combinations, these shadow beasts all had recognizable shapes: a dragon, a tiger, a snake, a lion. Some even looked almost human. One of the shapes, a small black kitten, jumped up onto the altar and nuzzled the lady. She stroked its back.

My demons looked on, just as vexed as I was. "Now would be a good time to call for backup." I said quietly. "We might need it."

"What do you mean 'we?" the Seir questioned. "Who said—"

I glared at him coldly, my ice blue eyes piercing through his arrogance. "Curb your tongue, Darkling. You're skating on thin ice. I'm sure you knew what would be expected of you, which includes obeying your seniors. I shouldn't have to explain that, as Demon Queen, I outrank you."

"You were a demon, you mean," he sneered. "Now you're just a mortal girl who fell from power and wants it back."

"You won't be laughing when I tear your heart out," I said coldly. "I may be human now, but I have never lost my power. Morterdu, I'm going out there. I'll signal for reinforcements when I need them."

"My will is your command, Your Majesty," Morterdu bowed, emphasizing my title with a glare in the Seir's direction.

"Good." I glanced at the Seir and invoked menace into my voice. "Learn some respect, Darkling. Otherwise, I'll have you immolated for your insolence." Then I slipped out into the courtyard.

Keeping my back against the wall, I stayed in the shadows. Now that I was out in the open, I had to be careful. I could hear the woman saying something to no one in particular.

"I have her sister," she spoke into the air. "The white-haired one will be soon to follow."

She was talking about me! I moved in closer. The woman paused and cocked her head, as if listening to something, or someone.

"Of course I'm sure!" she snapped. Her expression darkened, then her eyes widened. "I don't—"

"Looking for me?" I growled, stepping out from the shadows.

She whirled around, surprised for a fraction of a second, then smiled darkly. "I told you she would come," she smirked.

"Who's your friend?" I asked, stalking up to her.

"None of your business, girl," she retorted wirh a glare.

"That's the second time someone's called me a girl tonight. It didn't go well for them."