Twelve*

Broken-
Twelve!

FINN DECIDED TO STOP waking up with a smile glued to his face. It simply seemed to spoil his day now. Things had already gotten to be so bad. He didn't want it to get any worsefor his sake or for Sadie's he was unaware.

Sadie seemed to be barely hanging by a thread. She was so close to getting better; getting strongerbut she missed that safe ground by a centimeter, causing her to crash. Everyday seemed to be a battle with this beautiful girl. It broke Finn's heart and challenged him greatly. He knew she needed him, so he stayed. But he had been missing so much school. He was constantly getting in trouble at home and he almost always stayed up far too late than he should be. He had been stressing so much that he began to stop eating as much. I guess when they say, "If we go down then we'll go down together," they mean it, he thinks shyly. He gets up from off of the floor, having slept over at the girl's house that night and sleeping on a pallet laid out for him. He knew he was going to get yelled at when he got home. For all his mother knew, they could've been doing things, and it was things that Mrs. Wolfhard hated the most. That and her own son, he was convinced.

He walked down the stairs that slowly became harder to walk down due to a lack of strength. He realized he wasn't in a healthy state right now. He couldn't go on like this. He felt a warm, heavy tear slip from his droopy eyelid and quickly wiped it away, unwilling to believe his own truthful thoughts or the fact that he was truly being broken by the girl he loved. He couldn't, because if those thoughts were true his thoughts would tell him to leave her and if he left her he would never get her back and who knows how bad Sadie would get without an emotional support system? The whole thing was a snowball-effect situation waiting patiently to happen and he refused to let it. He smiled when his eyes glazed over her and she shakily smiled back. He wished he could see her in a serene state of mind again; one where he could fall asleep at night knowing she'd be okay, dreaming of that gorgeous cheeky smile he hadn't seen in weeks.

The girl's eyes were surrounded by dark circles and had almost entirely lost their shine. He would have given up on all hope if it weren't for those eyes. Every once in a while, mainly on her good days, Finn would take note of  the slight, faded glimmer in her eyes, out of place with the dark rings but beautiful, almost like seeing the moon during the day, that he had first fallen in love with. That sparkle, that made him believe in soulmates and goodness in people and the world. That sparkle that taught him to open up and live a little. That sparkle that he took note of at the lake, at the library (it was very bright and proud, there), at the ice cream parlor, and when they first met: Finn puffing angrily because of a girl he was hung up on, Sadie leaning against a car that wasn't her own sipping an icy drink that slowly melted in her grasp. He remembered those once cool blue eyes that reminded him so greatly of an ocean, now lifeless and a dull gray-blue. She was tired of fighting; this he knew. The girl's father had left when she was young, and now her mother. Finn was all she had left, and she feared each day she drove him away.

They no longer got slurpies from Circle K. Sadie missed Nathan, though, so she received his number and texted him every once in a while. They no longer kissed, or laughed, and they rarely ever cuddled. They were basically two ghosts who floated in sync with each other, filling up the emptiness of the household they could no longer call home. Soon any hope she found within Finn faded to something that just existed instead of home, too.

"Morning," Finn spoke uneasily. The darkness in Sadie's eyes made her look almost ominous or sinister. "How'd you sleep?"