Audience

"I thank Your Majesty for seeing me." Constance curtseyed low. The King smiled. 

"What is your request?" he asked.

"You might have heard that I had been married sire? Well, after our daughter was born my husband eloped with another woman. Now I cannot remarry out of fear of damnation. I thought that as you have had to victory of having your marriage dissolved, you might grant me the same?" Constance saw the courtiers whisper to each other. The King smiled.

"I will see what can be arranged. What is your daughter's name?"

"Alice, Your Majesty."

"You must bring Alice to see me."

"Of course, Your Highness. What time would suit?"

"Bring her in now! Why not?"

"Y-yes Your Majesty," Constance said, she sounded confused. She backed away and went to fetch Alice. "Alice? Alice where are you?" she called as she opened the door.

"My lady. Alice is playing in the next room." Charity said. 

"Thank you Charity."

"Is anything wrong my lady?"

"The King wishes to see her."

"Oh! And the divorce my lady?" 

"He said he will do what he can." Constance smiled as Alice toddled into the room.

"Mama!" Alice squealed, toddling faster. Constance picked her up and placed her on her hip. Alice grabbed at her mother's necklace. Constance let her marvel at it. Constance carried Alice to the Throne room and the guards let her in. She untangled Alice's fingers from her necklace and put her down. Alice stepped beside her mother. The Court ladies cooed and giggled at the little girl and the men smiled and waved. Constance looked down at her daughter to see if she was alright. Alice was waving back and smiling, she was the centre of attention and she knew it. 

"Your Majesty." Constance curtseyed. Alice mimicked her mother's movement half-heartedly. The king laughed.

"You are precious aren't you little one?" he smiled down on her from his throne. Anne Boleyn was next to him, her hand on her belly. She waved at Alice and Alice waved back. The Court laughed. "Come here little one." Alice wobbled up the stairs, she hadn't quite mastered stairs yet. The king scooped her up and placed her on his knee. She reached out to Anne and laughed. Constance smiled. The King passed Alice to Anne. 

"So you are the famous Alice?" Anne smiled. Alice nodded and reached for Anne's necklace. The Court laughed again. Anne giggled and undid her necklace. The clasp clicked and Alice looked down at her new treasure. Anne giggled again. "You can keep it little one."

"Alice? What do you say?" Constance whispered.

"Tank you!" The Court erupted into laughter and exclamations of how adorable Alice was. Alice beamed at the gathered crowd.