Arrival At Court

Constance sighed as she slid down in the bathtub. It had been seven months since her last bath. She usually didn't go two without a bath. The servant had put a couple of drops of lavender oil in the warm water and it was quite soothing. Constance could hear Alice splashing in the next room. It was late and the Seymour sisters had only just arrived in London. Tomorrow they would meet the new queen and Constance would ask about an audience with the King. 

***********************************************************************************************

"My lady." Constance and Elizabeth said in unison, dipping into curtseys. Anne Boleyn scanned them both, looking up and down. They were wearing dresses the colours of their family crest, yellow and red. Constance's dress favoured the yellow while Elizabeth's the red. 

"Lady Constance. Lady Elizabeth. I hope you travelled safely." Anne smiled, "Elizabeth, will you go see Lady Joan about my clothing for the banquet tonight?"

"Of course my lady." Elizabeth said whilst curtsying. Constance could tell she was excited to be given such an important task right away.

"Your Highness? May I speak with you?" Constance asked.

"Of course!" Anne replied, smiling. "I feel we will be fast friends Lady Constance! I like you!" 

"Th-thank you your highness..." Constance stammered at a smiling Anne. 

"So what did you want to say?"

"I wanted to ask if you might arrange me an audience with his majesty the king? You see I married a man who ran off with another woman, I cannot remarry without guilt. I thought that the king might arrange a divorce so that I may marry without fear of damnation. Your highness." Constance explained. Anne smiled. 

"I'm sure that can be arranged. I had heard that you had been married and bore a child. Is that correct?"

"Yes your highness. Alice is the name of my daughter. Thomas- that's my husband - left just after she was born." 

"I see. I will arrange an audience as soon as possible. You are a good woman for not remarrying before a divorce. I admire you." Anne grinned. Constance then knew life at Court would be different than it was before. She returned Anne's grin and curtseyed. "Can you select some jewellery for me to wear tonight? I know I can trust you." Anne said, handing Constance a key. Constance grinned and turned to find the locked jewellery cases.