Chapter Twenty-Three.

Start from the beginning

"By Order of the Peaky Blinders" Arthur shouts, as everyone starts to applaud again, bringing Michael back to present day. He starts to clap along with everyone else, despite not knowing what was said. Soon enough, after a few songs being sung, everyone starts to stand and make their way out of the room.  Michael once again lost Liz in the crowd, but knew he would find her when they go into the room hired out for the food afterwards.

***

"Tommy says mingle and smile" Ada approaches Liz and Polly as they stand near the fireplace, watching the people around the room. 

"it must be the trains" Polly shrugs, and takes a puff of her cigarette. 

"No Reuben?" Liz asks, eyeing the woman. 

"Do you know any other guests from London not turn up?" she asks, looking towards Ada and the girl. Liz shrugs, not hearing anything of anyone else not turning up, but Ada answers.

"Some I think, yeah" At this point Liz spotted Michael walk through the door, and decides to the leave the conversation and go over to him as he stood alone. 

"Hey, I couldn't find you after it had finished" Michael watches as his girlfriend approaches him, a smile on her face. 

"I know, I thought I had better get Charles out before it got crowded"

"Well he knows how to work a crowd" Michael points towards the young boy who is being carried around by Thomas, but within seconds starts to cry.

"Hmmm... or not..?" Liz gives Michael a quizzical look, causing them both to laugh. He bends his head down, and plants his lips on her forehead, his arm around her waist. 

"What do you say we get a drink?" he suggests, pointing to the table with plenty of liquids and digestible food spread all over. The girl nods in agreement, and they start to walk over, snuggled together. 

"Ew get a room" Finn laughs, stuffing his face with some cheese and bread. 

"Ew get a life" Liz pokes her tongue out jokingly. 

"Just because you've never kissed a girl" Michael points out, passing a glass of whiskey to Liz. 

"yes I-i have!" Finn exclaims, his face going red. Liz gives him a look which makes him sigh. "Ok I haven't" he admits.

"Oh....." Liz smiles

"What?" Finn asks, curious. Michael raises his eyebrow waiting for her to respond.

"You've kissed a boy then" She wiggles her eyebrows. Finn huffs and walks off in a strop, Michael in the mean time was trying to find a serviette to wipe his mouth from spitting his drink out. 

"Have you seen Charles?" Thomas comes rushing over to the two, his face filled with fear.

"No you had him?" Michael furrows his eyebrows.

"Fuck!" Thomas shouts, walking around the room asking for Charlie.

Liz rushes over to Polly who looks equally as worried and asks whats going on.

"Charlies gone, we can't find him" she exclaims.

"What do you mean gone?!" Liz shouts, now panicked.

"HE'S GONE! TAKEN!" Thomas shouts again. Everyone goes into action, searching the entire building.

"Someone says they saw a nurse take him out the back door!" Ada yells. Michael grabs ahold of Liz's hand as they run up and down the corridors, trying to open doors, some would open but be empty, others locked, impossible to go through. A tear falls down Liz's face. She feels like these past few weeks all she has done is cry, but this is different, this is Charlie we are talking about. They start to follow Arthur down the stairs, only to see Ada running up them.

"Arthur! somebody said they saw a woman and a kid getting into a car!" she shouts, still making her way up the stairs. Arthur swears and speeds up his pace down towards the first floor. All Liz could think about is that poor child and how confused he must feel, now alone with no one but a stranger. She grips ahold of Michael's hand tighter, and he squeezes it in return. The three of them meet Tommy on the bottom floor, and start to walk out of the main doors.

"CHARLIE" Thomas shouts, John joining in. 

"Arthur where is he?!" he yells at his brother, anger and sadness in his face. 

"Somebody's taken him, put him in a car and started to travel south" Thomas starts to throw up, gripping ahold of his brother.

"Tommy, we have road blockers, spotters. Arthur will set up shop and get every man possible" Liz places a hand on his shoulder, but he isn't looking at any of the people infront of him, only staring off into the distance as he nods in agreement. 

Thomas and Polly hop in a car after taking Arthurs instructions to go to the office and sit by the phone. 

"I need Michael at the maypole junction" Tommy points at Arthur, giving one last order before speeding off. 

"You heard him! Maypole junction! Liz, go with!" Arthur points at the pair, then starts giving orders to the others. They both hop in a car, Michael in the drivers seat, speeding off.  The tears were now gone from her face, no more to fall as all Liz could think of was Charlie.

"We need to find him" She glances at Michael, who places a hand on her thigh.

"I know love. I know"