Chapter Twenty-One.

Start writing your story

Twenty-One. 

Twenty-One years of age is how Liz woke up this morning. 

"Happy Birthday" Michael turns over in bed, kissing her on the lips, then planting little kisses all over her face, causing her to smile. She always looked so beautiful in the morning in Michael's eyes, the way her auburn hair would fall over her face and shoulders, her normal bright blue eyes a slightly more grey tone, all sleepy. 

"Thank you" she sighs, smiling at him. In all honesty, over the last few weeks leading up to to this day, she had almost forgot her birthday was near. Michael leans forward, and starts to whisper in Liz's ear, making her giggle. A small knock at the door disrupts their pillow talk. 

"Come in" Michael shouts. The door opens and Polly walks in, her hands behind her back. 

"Morning Pol" Liz sits up in bed smiling. She smiles back in return. 

"Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday to you.. Happy Birthday Elizabeth, Happy Birthday to you" she sings softly, pulling out a small piece of cake with a singular candle on top from behind her back. Liz places her hands together with glee. 

"Oh Polly!" she pushes the covers back and moves towards the end of the bed, Michael stays led at the top of the bed, his elbow on the pillow, head in his hand and massive grin on his face. 

"Go on then! blow it out" He laughs

"Dont forget a wish" Polly points out. Liz closes her eyes, and starts to think, wracking her brain for what she would like to wish for, before opening her eyes again and blowing out the candle. Michael finally moves forward, and places his arms around Liz's waist. 

"Twenty one!" Polly exclaims, shaking her head fondly at the two. "I feel old" she laughs, placing the small piece of cake down on the side table, then leaving the room. Michael pulls Liz back to the top of the bed and gets on top of her, playfully kissing all over her face and down her neck. He pulls her top down, and places his mouth of her bare breast. 

"What do you think you're doing?" she raises an eyebrow. 

"Giving you your first birthday present" he grins, pulling the rest of her clothes off and making his way down her body. 

***

"I would much rather just spend the day with you, I can see everyone else tomorrow" Liz takes Michaels hand as he helps her out of the car. 

"i'm sure a few hours with that lot won't harm. We'll be back home in bed before you know it" he winks. They walk into Tommy's house together, which was oddly quiet. 

"Doesn't seem like anyone is even here" she whispers, looking down the long empty corridor. Michael smirks to himself, knowing full well that everyone was in fact, in the house. Liz takes her coat off and hangs it on the hook. He looks lovingly towards her, wondering how he got so lucky. The dress she was wearing was new, her second present from him for her birthday. It accentuated  her curves more so than normal, the emerald green looking perfect with her skin tone and hair.

"God you're so beautiful" he whispers in her ear, before taking her hand and pulling her into the living room. 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY" everyone yells, causing Liz to jump. Her hands fly up to her face in shock, as she looks around the room. 

"did you arrange this?!" she laughs, looking at Michael, who holds his hands up. Liz runs forwards, saying hello to everyone.

"21 aye?!" Arthur laughs, pulling Liz into his arms. "I remember when you tiny!"

"leave it off Arthur, she's a woman now! doubt she'd want reminding of being young!" John shoves him off, pulling her in for a hug. Liz looks around the room to see a massive table set up with food all over, there were bunches of flowers placed around the room and a small pile of presents on a side table. The kids ran around the room laughing and playing with toys, even Charlie was there. 

"Appy Birfday!" Carl hugs Liz's legs, causing her to smile. 

"Thanks Carl" She bends down and kisses his forehead. 

The sound of a door opening caused everyone to stop talking as loud and look around, Liz stood back up, watching through a small gap between John and Esme.

"Happy Birthday Liz" Thomas walks in, placing a kiss on the top of her head. "Everyone" he nods, as he walks towards the pile of presents and puts two small boxes down. 

"Well, are we going to do presents?" he asks, sitting down on the sofa and patting the seat next to him for Liz to sit down. Michael sits next to her, and everyone else gathers around, some on the floor, some in spare chairs. 

"Start with this one" John passes on I assume was from him, Esme and the kids. Liz smiles and takes the ribbon off the box, opening it up. Inside lay a beautiful gold bracelet. 

"Esme picked it out" she points to his wife who smiles. Liz thanks them, putting the bracelet on. She opens a few more, and now only has Michael's third present and Tommy's presents left on the table. 

"leave mine until last" Michael takes it from the table and then moves to get a drink. Instead, Liz picks up the two remaining presents. The one is a a book, empty pages, almost like a journal, except for a little Happy Birthday note in Tommy's handwriting. She reaches out for the other box but Tommy picks it up first. 

"Now, I hope you'll treasure this one" He points, placing the box in her hand. Liz looks around at everyone who has smiles on their faces. She opens the box slowly, untying the ribbon, the paper and then finally taking the lid off. 

"What the fuck is that?" Michael asks, looking over Liz's shoulder. 

"Is this a joke?" Liz asks, tears forming in her eyes. It had been a few weeks since she had even though about that night and what Tommy made her do, and now it was all coming back. 

"This, Is a keepsake. The first bullet that Liz ever shot. The first bullet she put into a man's arm" Tommy looks around at everyone. John shaking his head, Polly shocked and Arthur's nose was flaring in anger. The girl looks down at the small, blood stained silver bullet inside of the box. The sound of the gun firing enters her head again, but Michael shouting brings her back to the room.

"What the fuck do you mean?" he stares at Liz in horror. She had decided against telling him what had happened with Changretta and what Tommy made her do. She made Polly not say anything as well as Arthur and John. She wanted to tell him in her own time, but never got round to it due to not knowing how to word it, and not wanting to think about it. Michael walks around the sofa and places his hands on either side of Liz's face, hard.

"What does he mean?" he whispers. By this point Tommy got up and left the room. Tears were falling down Liz's face.

"He made me shoot Changretta. I was going -" Liz whispers back, but is cut off.

"It's true Michael.." Arthur steps forward.

"You KNEW?" he lets go of Liz's face and points at Arthur, who steps back, looking at the floor. 

"Michael I-" 

"FUCK" Michael screams, tipping the table of presents over. He takes one more look at Liz, she could see how upset he was which made her cry more. He shakes his head, then walks out of the room, out of the house, and into the car. The engine starts, and he drives away, leaving everyone sat in silence, including the children.