Part 1 - Adoption

Bucky POV

This was it. The moment two became three. 

The three-month-old we would be adopting. She sat on the other side of the room, half-asleep in her travel seat. Steve signed the paper, then nudged me to do the same. Both signatures on the page, Tory was ours. The social worker, Laura, looked to the small redhead in the corner. She was gorgeous, cute to a point of absurdity and innocent as hell.

"Ok guys, she's yours. We've made sure you have everything you need, so congratulations, you have a daughter," Laura said excitedly. She lifted the car seat off the side and handed it to me. She squirmed a little in the seat, and opened her eyes a little bit, the gurgled something happily, baring a toothless grin up and Steve and I.

On the drive back to the apartment, Tory fell asleep in the back seat.

I lifted her out of the car seat when we got home, and she shuffled about but didn't wake up. Steve came up behind me and put a hand on my shoulder. "Bless her, she's so cute. We should get her inside, it's getting late - well, late for a three-month-old at least." He cooed. The only time we'd been able to go and get her was later in the evening because of work, so that's why it was almost seven when we got her home. Within an hour, she was asleep in her room.

Steve and I were curled up on the couch and had been for a couple of hours, when Steve suddenly sat up and muted the movie. "Honey, what's up?" Then I heard it too. Sobs from upstairs, almost screaming. Steve ran upstairs, but I was barely at the bottom of them when he began making his way back down, Tory in his arms, still crying; he was bouncing her gently as he walked, and she seemed to enjoy the movement ans settled a little, but didn't stop crying.

"She's in a strange place, with two new, strange guys. This isn't going to be easy on her. Or easy on us for that matter. Trust me when I say we're not going to get much sleep." Steve sighed, sliding the sniffling infant into my arms. "I'm gonna make her a bottle and she should settle down a little bit."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 2 months later ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an exhausting two months of Tory struggling to settle in and sleep alone, we finally had a night when we were together all evening and weren't disturbed. When we eventually went to bed, I checked on her, ducking around her door, and found her fast asleep, clinging to the dinosaur hot water bottle. We'd found that she would sleep better with something warm like she was sleeping with another human. I turned around and pulled her door too, not quite closing it, as I went back into my room.