Chapter 3 : Chase (Part 1)

The light that comes from the moon was just right for us to see if someone's there. Logs, shrubs and vines are all that surrounds the old house. "What was that?" Harry held me tight in his arms while his eyes searched the place. I felt his heart raced at the sudden shock.

This time, the only sounds that are clear to hear are the sound of our breathing, some crickets and faint sound of the water from the lake as it lightly flows.

"I don't know, probably some rats." I shrugged, trying to ignore the fright that emerged so suddenly.

Eversince I've known this place, I have never encountered anyone with bad intentions. But then, that was three years ago, maybe some things have changed.

"Wait right here, I'm going to take a look."

"No, Harry.." I pulled his hand just before he could make another step. "I'm scared, let's go home instead."

He sighed. "Okay let's go." he took my hand as we walked to the other end of the ruins. But another sound was made. Like something fell to the ground and hit a rock, or something hard. We both looked at the place from where the sound was made. Behind a post at the side of the ruined house, which is just a few steps away.

Harry held my hand tight. "Who's there?" he called out loud. "If you're one of those paps, I swear to god I will sue you."

No respond.

"Let's take a look." he whispered. "don't be scared, I'll take care of you. I promised, right?" he reassured. I nod. "Just stay behind me."

We walked slowly towards the last post of the ruined house. Each step made a cracking sound as we stepped on the dry leaves scattered throughout the dusty tiled flooring.

My head turned left and right, eyes scanning the clusters of trees a few meters away from us, hoping not to see anyone or anything scary. But my eyes betrayed me when I saw about three or more silhouettes of a man standing by the trees. I closed my eyes, blinking a couple of times. Maybe my mind just plays tricks on me, maybe I'm just hallucinating. I looked back at the trees and saw nothing.

"I'm scared." I whispered. The leaves dance as the cold wind blows.

We reached the spot where the post stands, I took a peering glance from behind Harry. There's nothing behind it, just some old rusty paint cans. I sighed in relief. But why does it made a sudden sound?

"Harry let's go." I muttered as I yank his shirt. "Harry.. I said let's go. Please, I'm scared."

But he's not moving from his spot. "Harry?" I look up at him, his eyes are fixed on the dark dense woods ahead.

His brows are furrowed, fiercely staring.. searching.. sensing..

His hand tightened its grip on mine. "There's someone out there." he whispered. "somewhere behind the bushes." he continued.

I can feel my knees shake, my hands are cold but beads of sweats are formed on my forehead. I looked at the bushes, searching something. Please, let there be nothing.

My heart beats incredibly fast as looked over the place. Until something caught my eyes. A form of a man's head behind the bushes, but what's more scary is that he's slowly standing up from where he is.. A tall man, with a mask.

"Harry." I hid my face behind his shoulder.

"Love, if I say run.. you run. Fast as you can. Head into your motorcycle, I'll be right behind you." he whispered, eyes still fixed at the stranger in the dark.

I nod. Trying to be brave.

"Who are you? What do you want?" he asked the stranger.

The man slowly walked out of the bushes, and stopped a few meters away from us. His hand slowly points at us. "Your life." he simply said.

"RUN!" Harry shouted, sending me a sudden jolt before I took a large step forward and run for our lives.