Where Were You That Fateful Day?

Kevin attended Gotham University for two years, and was at the top of his class. Bruce willingly paid for Kevin's college intuition. He felt it was the least he could do to make up for lost time with Kevin. Kevin and Bruce had a good relationship like a father and son. Kevin even took a liking to his younger half-brother Damian. He considered Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon his best friends. It was three weeks after Kevin's 21st birthday, and Dick had bought Kevin his first drink on that day. (I should mention, Kevin's birthday in this novel is July 28th, 1987.)

Today was like any other ordinary day for Kevin. Kevin was getting ready for his third year of college. Since it was the summer time, Kevin decided to work out at the gym. After all, it's always best to stay physically fit. Kevin was using the treadmill when suddenly, his cell phone rang. Kevin picked it up to see who it was, and saw it was his mother Andrea. He got off the treadmill and answered, "Hey Mom. What's up?" Andrea then said on the phone, "Kevin, are you watching the news right now?" Kevin raised his eyebrow and said, "no, I'm not right now. I'm exercising at the gym." Andrea sounded like she was choking up as she said on the phone, "just turn on the TV to the local news station." Kevin then went to the nearest room that had a TV, and noticed that the TV said, and I quote, "BREAKING NEWS! Metropolis has been destroyed by a nuclear bomb. 11 million people dead."

Kevin's eyes widened in shock and disbelief. "Oh my god..." was all Kevin could say because he was speechless and devastated. "I know, it's horrifying dear," said Andrea. "How... How did this happen??" Kevin asked, regaining his speech. "I don't know sweetie," said Andrea, "but the best thing you can do right now is pray." Kevin nodded and said, "yeah, I will. I love you Mom." Andrea said on the phone, "I love you too Kevin. Be safe sweetie. I gotta go now." She then hung up. Kevin then texted Dick and asked, "do you and Dad know who destroyed Metropolis?" Less than a minute later, Dick texted back, "Joker. Bruce is taking him into custody right now to interrogate him. We'll give you and Barbara further details later." Now Kevin felt furious. Of course that clown would do something so despicable. First Barbara. Then Jason. Now all of Metropolis. Millions of lives, gone. Kevin was often the calm and mellow man, but Joker was one of the few people to ever make his blood boil. Kevin then found a private area, and broke down crying.

Much later, Kevin went home where Alfred was. Kevin then prayed the Rosary, praying for the families of the victims, and that God be with any survivors. It was then nighttime, and Bruce, Dick, and Barbara came out from the Batcave. Bruce and Dick were in their super suits, but unmasked. Kevin's eyes were bloodshot from crying so much. "Guys, how did Joker destroy Metropolis?" Bruce sighed and reluctantly said, "The Joker killed Jimmy Olsen and kidnapped Clark's wife, Lois. She was pregnant with their unborn child. He put a device in her heart, and lured Superman in. Joker used Scarecrow's fear gas on Clark, and made him hallucinate that he was fighting Doomsday. Clark unknowingly hurled Lois into space, unintentionally killing her and the baby... the moment Lois's heart stopped beating, it triggered a nuclear bomb that destroyed Metropolis..." Bruce looked down sadly. "Bart and Garfield were many of the victims," explained Dick, "Conner tried to shield Garfield from the blast, but Garfield died in his arms." Kevin looked at Dick sadly. "I'm sorry to hear that," said Kevin, "and it's so awful that Clark lost his wife and unborn child..." Batman sighed and said, "it gets worse... I remember it as clearly as my parents' murder... I was interrogating Joker when Superman crashed inside the GCPD. He confronted Joker... And killed him right before my very eyes."

Kevin covered his mouth in horror

Kevin covered his mouth in horror. He was in disbelief. Everyone was silent for a few minutes. Kevin then said, "I feel so torn apart... I know since I was raised as a Catholic, I'm not supposed to wish death upon others. But I feel Joker deserved what happened to him after what he did, and I'm glad he's dead... am I a bad person or bad son for thinking this?" Bruce and Barbara looked at each other. Barbara held Kevin's hand and said, "You're not a bad person for thinking that Kevin. Look at me. I'm glad he's dead after what he did to me. But that doesn't mean I don't condone what Superman did." Bruce nodded and said, "and don't ever assume that I think you're a bad son for thinking that, Kevin. You have the right to your opinion, even if it's unagreeable by others. My father once said, what's popular is not always right, and what's right is not always popular. It's okay to feel torn apart with these feelings, son. It shows how human you are." Kevin smiled a little at his father, hiding his blush from Barbara when she held his hand. Dick sighed and said, "The Titans are holding a funeral for Garfield and Bart tomorrow. Would you be willing to be one of the pallbearers at the funeral, Kevin?"

"I'd be more than willing to, Dick." Kevin said, "it's the least I can do for Bart and Garfield. I'll even make that vegan pizza that I know Garfield liked." What Kevin and the rest of the Bat Family didn't know was that things were going to get worse from here on out.