Twenty

HYUNJIN

I couldn't believe it. She is right here, in front of my eyes. How dare she have the fucking guts to appear in front of me after leaving me without any word?!

"J-Jin-ah... it's been a while..."

I tightened my grip on Seungmin's hand. Mom later arrived and was as shocked as I.

"Oh my... Miyoung..."

"What are you doing here?" I coldly asked.

"I came back, Hyunjin... after several years, I'm back."

Seungmin was confused. He had no idea what was going on. I let go of his hand and wrapped my arms around his waist, pulling him closer to me while making eye contact with Miyoung. She noticed my gesture to Seungmin and looked down.

"And so? You're back, now what?"

The atmosphere was getting tense. It was an awkward silence between us. Seungmin was still confused about what was going on.

"Um... Seungmin, can you help me out a bit in the kitchen?" My mom interrupted.

Seungmin, who was still confused, nodded and went with my mom, leaving Miyoung and me alone.

"Jin-ah..."

"I never even thought you actually remember me, Miyoung."

"O-of course I do! You're..."

"I'm what? From what I know, you left without saying a word, leaving me all alone when you're the only person I've got. For 13 years, I looked for you, wondered why you left me, wasn't I enough? Did I do something wrong? Does she hate me as well?"

"Jin-ah I-"

I cut her off with a laugh. "But you know, despite of you leaving me, I met a lot of good people. I met Changbin-hyung and Lino-hyung. Despite my attitude, they stayed with me, never left my side. And of course, I met Seungmin. God, isn't he the most precious man in the world? He changed me. Ever since you left, I've been a bad guy, and he's the only one who changed me into someone else again."

"Is he-"

"He's my boyfriend, Miyoung. He's not an ordinary person. He hated me at first, he hates me but he took care of me when I was drunk. He's not like someone else who would leave without saying anything. He's not someone who would stand me up."

"Jin-ah... I'm sorry..."

I scoffed. "Now you're apologizing? Fuck you!"

* * * * *

SEUNGMIN

Even though we were in the kitchen, I could still hear Hyunjin and Miyoung's conversation. At first, I was confused, but then I remembered what Chan-hyung told me.

"All I know is that his first love left him when they were young without even saying goodbye."

Miyoung must be the 'first love' Chan-hyung was talking about.

My thoughts were interrupted when Mrs. Hwang spoke. "Seungmin-ah, that girl is..."

"Hyunjin's first love?"

She was surprised, "How did you know?"

I giggled, "Chan-hyung has told me about her. How her departure made Hyunjin change into a different person."

She sighed, "Yes, that's true. I saw how Hyunjin suffered when she left. I saw how he changed into a complete person. It was painful for me to watch Hyunjin's breakdown when Miyoung left, but I couldn't do anything." She then held both of my hands. "This is why I'm thankful to you, Seungmin. It's been a while since I saw Hyunjin smiling happily. He changed, all because of you."