Chapter 2: Hope

Wow! I can't believe the amount of attention this story has gotten! Thank you all for your support, and look forward to more updates!

Today's update is dedicated to my friend, Summer! Happy 15th birthday!! You are amazing~!

Chapter 2: Hope

Izuku didn't know what to think. He'd stepped off that edge ready to die. He was ready. He was going to finally end all the pain and suffering that he'd endured his entire life. There was nothing more to live for.

Except there was. All of a sudden... like a dream, the underground pro-hero Eraserhead—a guy who was so unknown and good at hiding his tracks that he was practically an urban legend—saved him. In more ways than one. He not only told Midoriya that 'yes, you can become a hero', but was willing to train him to become one!

He couldn't think of anyone better! Eraserhead's fighting style was Quirkless. His Quirk allowed him to even the playing field about 75% of the time. The other 25% he was no better off than a Quirkless guy going up against any other Villain. But he was still a pro-hero. If Eraserhead could do it, then so could Izuku!

He had a bounce in his step, a fire burning in his veins that hadn't been there for a very long time. He and Eraserhead didn't speak on the way back to his house. He knew he was coming back very late, and his mother was probably worried sick. Izuku's phone was damaged in the Slime Villain Incident, and he had no way of knowing how many dozens of times his mother had tried to contact him.

He felt a slight flush of shame when he led Eraserhead up the stairs of the cheap, shabby apartment complex. He idly noted that the pro-hero didn't really look out of place in the rougher area of town. He kinda looks homeless, himself.

"Mom, I'm home!" He called out, opening the door.

"Izuku!" His mother ran over, engulfing him in a massive hug filled with tears and cries. "I was so worried! You wouldn't answer your phone, and you didn't come home before dark!! What if something happened?!"

His sudden awareness of the weight of the suicide note hidden in his backpack made him shift awkwardly. His face was bright red when he remembered that the pro hero was watching his mother smother him like a child.

"M-mom, I'm fine! Really! B-besides, we've got a guest." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as his mother looked up, startled.

"O-oh! I'm so sorry!" She shifted uncomfortably.

"Sorry to intrude. My name is Eraserhead, and I'm a pro-hero." He held up his Hero License as proof, likely used to people not believing him.

"A hero! What happened?! Is my little Izuku okay?! He didn't get himself into any trouble, did he?" She sent Izuku a reprimanding glare.

"He's fine, and he's not in trouble. I didn't want him walking home alone at night." Eraser explained as his mother invited the hero inside. Izuku relaxed a bit. At least he won't tell her...

"In fact, we got to talking a bit." The three sat around the kitchen table and sipped at the tea (coffee in the hero's case) that his mother had made. Izuku was abruptly struck with how surreal and comical the scene was. A Quirkless child, a single mother and an Underground Pro-Hero sitting around a kitchen table. His kitchen table. It kinda sounds like the intro to a bad joke.

"Oh? Well, I must thank you for bringing my son home." Inko smiled.

"Actually, he was telling me about his dream of being a hero." Eraserhead tested the waters, looking for any sign of negative response. When his mother just sighed somewhat sadly, he took that as a means to continue. "I'm aware that he doesn't have a Quirk. But I see potential in him. Will you let me train your son to be a Hero?"