T W E L V E

SIN

"Once upon a time..." Charon began, his voice suddenly ominous and far away "It was once believed that everything the darkness of the Underworld touched was above surface"

I sat forward in my seat, enthralled with his silky voice and interesting story.

"Here we go" Hades grumbled under his breath, hunkering down in his seat "I hate this story"

"The living, unbeknownst to them, walked alongside the dead" Charon maneuvered the boat away from a large, pointy looking rock and continued his story "The dead quite enjoyed this luxury because it meant that they would still be able to protect their loved ones from beyond the grave"

"What happened then?" I asked softly and Zephyr let out a small growl "What changed?"

I gave him a side glance and watched as he mimicked Hades posture, slouching down in his seat and grumbling profanities under his breath.

Charon gave me a soft smile, his lips curling up and his eyes softening.

"Patient is a virtue Love" he said softly.

I grumbled.

"For as long as I have lived as the Ferryman of this boat, the dead were always given this privileged" he said "It wasn't until a Goddess foolishly disrupted the laws of nature did everyone truly begin to suffer"

I shifted in my seat, suddenly uncomfortable.

If this story was the same story that I suspected they were talking about, then things were about to get awkward really quickly.

"In her selfish attempt to save her dying Mate, the Goddess decided to defy the only rule of the Underworld Hades harshly enforced" his eyes darkened "She brought a soul back to life and bound it to another being"

"But it was for a good purpose" I whispered so quietly that I didn't think anyone heard me.

Boy was I wrong.

Hades shot to his feet so fast you'd think they were on fire.

When he turned to me, I flinched when I saw fire (literal freaking flames) light his eyes.

"The only good purpose it suited" Hades spat out "Was for Selene's own selfish needs!"

"Everything happens for a reason!" I shot up to my feet too "Maybe Selene saving her Mate was meant to be! For a greater purpose!"

"She had no right!" Hades bared his teeth and stepped closer to me "Her one little action fucked everything up for the rest of my people! And why you ask? Because she was too damn selfish! Thinking with the thing between her legs instead of thinking with that thing in her skull!"

"I'm not saying what she did was right" I defended myself "I'm just saying that it happened for a reason!"

"Well whatever that reason was..." Hades clenched his fists "It caused my people and I to be banished to this hellhole! Never to see or visit the topside again"

"I..." My words were cut off when I found myself being pushed over the edge of the boat.

~☠~☠~☠~☠~☠

Zephyr

My mouth opened in shock as I stared at Hades outstretched hands.