"I hope it works for you two." I whisper in her ear.

"Goodbye Rosa! I'm going to miss you and all the trouble you get me into!" Laura grins. I hug her back. "Don't leave me all on my own with that snob." She whispers, shifting her eyes to Matilda who has surprisingly turned out to say goodbye.

"Stop being so dramatic, just let me know when you're coming to America!" I grin.

"I don't really know why I'm here but you're an interesting one." Damon shrugs at me, leaning against the wall behind him.

"Damon I-I'm sorry about the other night. But maybe give Stefan a second chance?"

Damon says nothing; after a moment or two he merely purses his lips before turning on his heel and disappearing back inside.

"Goodbye Rosaline Princeton."

"Your majesty, goodbye." I reply, dipping into a curtsey before the Queen.

"Take care." She reaches for my hand, pulling me close. "And remember what I told you about Alex and I. You never know." She add quietly, so no one else can hear, smiling warmly at me.

I turn to the last two people left. Matilda is the first to approach me. "I can't say I'm anything other than thrilled to see you gone." She all but snarls.

"I can't say I'm anything other than relieved I never have to see your face again." I bite back.

She narrows her eyes at me. "And here I was going to let Damon take the blame." She grins wickedly, before flouncing back inside. "Come on Stefan." She calls over here shoulder not even bothering to turn around.

I'm left standing there, my mouth agape like a fish out of water. I blink in surprise processing her words. I can't believe it - it was Matilda! I always knew she hated me but I never would have suspected her. I suddenly don't feel so bad about egging her room; boy do I wish I had been able to see her reaction! And here I was blaming Damon... Maybe that's what he meant when he said I shouldn't go pointing fingers?

"Rose." Stefan steps forwards. "I-"

Placing my finger on his lips I shake my head, tears already welling up in my eyes. "Please don't; we've had our fun and now it's time for me to leave." I pull him into a hug before stepping back towards the taxi waiting for me. Turning round I face my friends. "Thank you, I'm going to miss you all so much. Come see me soon and hey! Don't you dare have too much fun without me." I laugh through the tears falling down my cheeks.

Turning, I am about to step into the taxi when a hand on my arm spins be back to face whoever it is. Stefan. With an oddly gentle force, he pulls me in for a kiss. Closing my eyes I embrace the feeling of his lips on mine; the spark of electricity and the undeniable passion and desire... finally, he releases me and steps back. Offering him a small smile, I turn again and climb into the taxi.

Closing the door behind me I swear I see a small smile on the Queen's face just before she turns and heads back into the palace. I must be imaging it - surely. Why would she be smiling at Stefan jeopardising England's future and the arrangement between England and France?

The taxi begins to drive away; looking out the back window I wave to the 4 waving figures as they get smaller and smaller. Finally, I turn back to face the front knowing it's the end. It's over. And I'm done.

➰➰➰

Present Day

It's been 2 weeks since I've been home from England. I'm back into my old routine finally. It's been hard; readjusting. Call me spoilt but it even felt weird dressing myself and getting to choose my own clothes. Courtney and Lily actually sent me home with all the dresses I wore whilst I was there; very generous but then I guess they were made for me specifically... not that I exactly have much of an occasion to wear any of them.