Chapter 20 - Raven's Daughter

A/N: Hey everyone! Sorry for the haitus, but final exams showed up and (although I love procrastinating!) studying took priority and I stayed away from Wattpad. BUT, I do have all the chapters of AoT written and I'll be posting them regularly and soon! Also, I have three months of doing nothing, so hopefully I'll get a significant amount of writing done in that time! Otherwise, how is everyone doing? Anyway, thank you for reading and thank you for your patience! Seriously, you guys are the best. Read, enjoy, vote, comment and share! Thanks xxx

~Hikari :) 

Chapter 20 – Raven’s Daughter

“Call mom and I’ll kill you,” I said, jumping up and covering his mouth. He was taller than me, but I could still hold him.

“I’m serious, Archer. This is work-related. Understand?” I kept my voice low and threatening, applying my older-sister authority on him. He mumbled something that was muffled by my hand, but nodded.

“Moooooom! Come quickly! Maya –“ I jabbed my elbow into his stomach to cut off his shout. I listened for a reaction from downstairs, but none came. My parents hadn’t heard him.

“Don’t make me hurt you, little brother. My boss is a detective and I learnt a few ways of causing pain,” I said, twisting his ear.

“Mom!”

I elbowed him again, hitting his solar plexus and he bent over in pain.

“Fine! Fine!” he gasped in defeat. “I won’t call mom again. But you gotta tell me what’s going on, Maya.”

“It’s really, really complicated and messed up...Sit down,” I said. I ran a hand through my hair, rubbing the back of my neck. He eyed Art suspiciously and sat on the floor.

“Who’s he – firstly? A boyfriend?”

I rolled my eyes.

“He’s called Art. He’s here because he needs a place to stay for tonight – somewhere in hiding.”

“Are you decided the attic is the best place to hide him? MOM!”

“Call mom one more time Archer, and I swear I will –“

“I’m not scared of you. If it really is for work, mom won’t mind and you’re actually terrible at your job and –“

“What. Part. Of. Hiding. Don’t. You. Understand?” I asked through gritted teeth, whacking the side of his head.

“Maya, perhaps you should stop abusing your brother for a moment,” Art said, standing up. He gave Archer a cold glare and my brother shrank.

“Your sister is doing me a great favour. You don’t want to get on my bad side by causing even more trouble for her. You’ll keep my presence here secret. Understand?” Art spoke calmly, his voice level and drenched in threat.

Eyes wide, my brother nodded.

“Geez, Maya...Must you always bring home weird ones?” Archer muttered. “I won’t say anything, but if mom finds out I’m not keeping quiet about anything.”

He got up and walked to the door, scowling.

I let out a sigh, my shoulders relaxing. My brother was gaining too much leverage on me. It bothered me that he was learning so much about my work, and seeing the people I worked with. Aside from the minor risk of him telling my parents what he knew, I worried that the Conspiracy would start to see him as a target. He was only fourteen, but I didn’t put it past Blackwell to shoot a teenager. Dread filled the pit of my stomach. Bringing Art home with me had been a stupid idea. It endangered my entire family. If anything were to happen to them, it would be my fault. Kairo didn’t even know Art was here. The only protection we had was a thin veil of luck.