Chapter 16

We started murmuring to ourselves.

"Did they get it?"

"It's gone. Just like last night."

"Come on, let's get out of here."

"I second that."

"I'm right behind you," I told them. When they started to run back inside, I ran towards Major Coleman. I have to tell him that this thing's not done yet.

"Major Coleman—" But before I could tell him, a soldier called out his attention. "Sir!" he said, pointing at something in front of him. "It's unharmed, sir."

I followed his gaze and saw it too. Its shadowy body was devoid of bullet holes. There's no way those bullets missed that thing. This time, the Shade floated still, before growing two, black legs and dropped to the ground. It raises one of its arms to its side at shoulder-length. Its arms and fingers elongated to a point before curving inward, thin and sharp, till it resembles the weapon of the Grim Reaper—a black scythe.

The image of the falling tree last night came back to my mind. The clean, smooth cut. It all fits. Now we know how the Shade did it. But what does that mean for us haunteds? I tried not to think about it, and focused on the Shade in front of me. It raised its leg and stepped forward. One foot after the other. Leaving a wake of stomped patches of grass where it walked. Wait, if it's stomping the ground, then...

"Major Coleman," I said. "Maybe another round?"

Major Coleman raised his eyebrow. "It didn't work."

"It will. This time." I said, covering my ears again.

He stared at me in silence. But rather than have me explain, he raised his hand again and gave the command to open fire at the Shade. It worked, all right. Bullets are hitting the Shade square on its head, its chest, everywhere. But instead of hurting the creature, its skin swallows up the bullets upon impact. Some remained stuck on its body. Some fell harmlessly to the ground.

"Switch to U.V.," Major Coleman ordered. Unnerved by what has unfolded in front of them, the soldiers swung their rifles around and turned on searchlights they were carrying. But the Shade already turned on its heel and retreated to the safety of the trees. "Follow it!" Major Coleman ordered. The soldiers started to pursue but the Shade swipes at a tree it passed by with its scythe-arm before disappearing into the darkness.

"Look out!" A soldier called. The tree slammed hard to the ground, stopping the soldiers in their tracks. Then, more slicing sounds rang from behind the trees. "Major Coleman, this is what happened to us last night. It's the Shade cutting up wood to throw at us." I said. 

He didn't give it another thought. "Pull back! Watch out for—"

The agonized scream of a man cuts him off. The night came alive with the sounds of missiles whistling through the air. Searchlights were broken in quick succession in every soldier's hands. I hid behind Major Coleman. The street lamps surrounding us and the wall lights on the dorm exploded in a burst of sparks. Men keep falling down, hit by flying projectiles. "Get inside!" He shouted at me. Keeping my head down, I ducked inside.

The rest were already gathered down here. From the looks of their faces, I can tell that they already have an idea of what's happening outside. I huddled up to them, keeping our eyes on the entrance. Panic was starting to build up.

"SHUT UP!" Eris shouted, stopping anyone from freaking out. "Panicking won't help."

"She's right," Leo said in a much calmer voice. "As long as we're inside, it won't reach us."

Through the glass sliding door, I could see Major Coleman's men, limping away from the entrance.

With the U.V. lamps outside and the U.V. wall lights installed around the dorm itself destroyed, along with their searchlights, he must have ordered them to bring out their spare from the trucks because they are leaving the entrance unprotected.