Chapter 26

Our group went back to the minibus, with Major Coleman as our driver. He was driving smoothly. For about five minutes after we left the hotel. We've been stuck in traffic for some time now.

We were at the intersection. There was a waiting shed with a horizontal LED banner whose messages scrolls from right to left. It shows the name of the current mayor and then the time, 5:33 PM, scrolls in.

Obviously, our minibus is not stored with U.V. searchlights, coming straight from my school and all. It was supposed to be a quick visit to the museum and then this splitting, I guess. Even with our unexpected detour, there wouldn't have been any problem if it weren't for this traffic. 

I was thinking of suggesting going back and finding an alternate route but when I look behind us, there was already a long line of commuters trying to get home. It was bumper to bumper. We weren't moving an inch. 

The rhythmic humming of car engines in idle filled our minibus. Horns were blaring from all directions. Three cars in front of us, a man in a suit stepped out of his car and started spewing profanities, gesturing to the car in front of him so I suspect some drivers were cutting in line somewhere farther upfront.

Only less than half an hour before we see if the Shade comes back tonight. And we're stuck in rush hour traffic. I'm still clinging on the hope that the Shade does not make its appearance tonight, or every night from here on out, at least for this year. Even though I understand that we know so little of the Shade to be certain of anything.

But we do have two things going for us. One is that the Shade mostly appears during the darkest time of the night. Like last night, it was almost midnight when it showed itself. Second, if it did decide to be a little bit early, it can only appear in one place at a time. As far as we know. 

But going by this rule, and since we were split into three groups, there is only a thirty-three percent chance of the Shade materializing in front of us. It's not the most comforting of odds but it's something to hold on to.

Major Coleman pulled out his walkie-talkie and made a call, ordering his guy on the other line to meet us at with a new car. "Everybody out." Major Coleman said as he turned off the engine. "We're walking it."

We were standing on the concrete sidewalk outside, waiting for the Walk sign to turn green, when I saw another reason causing the heavy traffic. There was a rally. A wooden platform had been erected, occupying one lane. From the looks of it, the platform was made in a hurry and on a tight budget. But they do have a microphone on a stand and speakers, though. 

A girl was currently speaking to the crowd gathered, which were mostly just other protesters wearing t-shirts with UFO logos printed on them. All the cars just passed along. Occasionally some drivers would roll down their windows and expressed their anger for blocking the road with some choice words.

Getting a good look, I read the card boards they're holding up: We deserve the truth! and No more lies! was the main theme. The girl was talking about how the government was denying that the news this afternoon was evidence of extraterrestrial mutilation. Arguing that they hide the mutilated bodies from last night. The bodies were butchered with such precision and accuracy that only highly advanced visitors from space could have done so. No wonder no one takes them seriously.

"Wow," Leo said. "Those people are dumb."

"We're lucky they didn't make the connections yet," Major Coleman said. "If they did, well, we'll have bigger problems than the Shade."

At the time, there was no one else but us waiting to cross the street. And between the blaring of the cars, the shouting of enraged drivers, and the loudspeakers of the stage, it's unlikely that someone would happen to hear our conversation so it was safe to talk about it here in the open.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Shopping," Major Coleman said, as if it was practically normal to do so in our situation. "Then meet up with my guy at Plaridel Station."

"Shopping?" Leo asked. "Right now? Really?"

"We are stuck out here, defenseless, surrounded by all these people," Major Coleman looked at us to make sure that we understood what he was getting at. And I did.

I imagine the Shade materializing into existence in the middle of the road. It's red, hateful eyes trained on us. Its feet making a dent on the hood of the red Toyota just in front of us after it solidifies once again. The scream of the lady sitting behind the wheels would definitely be enough to get the attention of most, if not all the people in the area. And I'm pretty sure a dark figure running after a bunch of screaming kids running for their lives would be hard to miss.

Then I imagine what Major Coleman feared most. The Shade, butchering innocent people as it hacks and slashes its way towards us. The bloodshed, the chaos that would surely follow, and our secret, exposed. Forget about being defenseless against the Shade. If the Shade caught us out of here in the open, with all of these people, it's easy to imagine that next year would be another Dark Year. Until now, I still can't believe what scared people are capable of once their lives are in danger. It's revolting to think about.

When the "Walk" sign turned green, Major Coleman started walking briskly with his long strides that it was all that we can do not to fall behind without breaking into a run. Good thing Major Coleman was tall than most people so losing him in the crowd wouldn't be a problem. We followed him inside the mall, up the escalator, and into a hardware store. He talked to the sales staff, who led us to what Major Coleman was looking for, the light and fixture sections.

We were in desperate need of U.V. lights. But the only choices available were portable torch lamps or flashlights the size of a pen. We ripped the flashlights out of their cardboard casings, put in their batteries and tested them. The light it produced was small and weak, unlike the searchlights we've used last night.

"I'm guessing this isn't where you bought those searchlights from last night," I said.

"We have our own supplier," Major Coleman said. 

He practically dragged us out afterward. I don't even know if he paid for these. But the sales staffs didn't seem to mind the beeping noises of the metal detectors as we passed through the exit so I guess it's all right. The other customers looked confused, though. I just hoped they don't get the wrong idea and follow our example.

"Follow me," Major Coleman said once we were outside the mall. Then he started to run. We tried our best to keep up with him running along the mall. But after passing by two universities and running by the whole stretch of the park, my calves were starting to get tight. My lungs were on fire. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up.

Major Coleman was still a few distance up ahead, showing no signs of stopping or even slowing down. He occasionally turns around to check on us. He must have thought that we were doing fine since he didn't ask us if we needed a break. I realized that the only way we can get some rest is if one of us explicitly asked for it.

I thought of powering through the fatigue but the thing is, I don't even know how much farther we're going so my resolve fell. Finally, when I thought I couldn't do this anymore, Major Coleman stopped at the stairway that leads up to the light railway transit above us. The traffic here is not bad. Only the occasional tricycles and jeepneys. But I don't see any vehicle stopping by where Major Coleman stood. 

We reached him and stopped, catching our breath. I felt so hot and sweaty that the collar of my uniform was sticking to my neck. Leo leaned against the street post. Cana was panting, her hands on her knees. I joined Demi who plopped down the concrete. 

Major Coleman was on his walkie-talkie. "They're 10 minutes out," he said. "Nothing to do but to rest and wait."

It must have been six because Major Coleman made another call after checking his wristwatch, changing frequencies, asking if the Shade had been spotted. "Keep your eyes peeled for the Shade," he said. A minute passed. Then two. But nothing. Major Coleman was still on his walkie-talkie, constantly checking the situation of the other groups.

I was just starting to feel good from being rested when I spotted the Shade across the street, its feet already planted on top of the concrete barrier, and there was still no sign of our rescue.