Chapter 26

~Spring Court~

It had only been a few days since Azalea found the ruined village, and picking up the pieces was more challenging than she thought. All of the people had a different story to tell, a different time, a different event, different everything. The only thing they could agree on was avoiding eye contact and and locking themselves in their homes.

The Spring Court was now providing food and shelter to the village, and Azalea refused to leave it undefended. She regulated the supplies going in and out of the area while Tamlin occasionally escorted it. He was supposedly calling for help, addressing the other Courts of an attack; but that was all Azalea heard. No one came. Probably doubting that 'Humans' could perform such damage. But that was one of the only things the victims could agree on, their terror and paranoia was caused by humans.

"Lucien and Tamlin are  having an argument." Brice had barged into the small room where Azalea had been occupying.

"Let's go." Azalea sighed, clearly annoyed that she had to mediate a conversation between her father and friend. Brice and Azalea stepped outside, the small town square was still quiet, but every once and a while a villager would step outside (accompanied with someone else) to get some fresh air.

"What's the argument about?" Azalea asked Brice, who was leading the path to Lucien and Tamlin.

"I'm not so sure, it could be anything. You know how Tamlins temper has been recently."  Brice and Azalea looked straight ahead. They both had first hand experience of Tamlins temper, while it use to be rare, the stress of a possible war had made it more and more common.

As they got closer, Azalea and Brice could hear Tamlin. Which was a good thing. It was when Tamlin got silent angry that you should be scared.

"You had no right." Was the first clear sentence Azalea made out. Once they rounded the corner, Azalea didn't wait to make a move.

"Lucien." Azalea smiled, walking up to what she considered family, and hugged the male in front of her.

"Lea, it's good to see you." Lucien said while hugging her back.

"What's wrong?" She asked casually, careful not to add fuel to the fire.

"Lucien has invited members outside of our court into our affairs." Tamlin said glaring at Lucien.

"What?" Azalea asked, confused mostly at Tamlins bland language.

"Rhysand is going to help." Lucien sighed, and the situation at hand suddenly made more sense.

"Why does it matter, I thought you already informed the other Courts of an attack." Azalea turned to her father, waiting for him to make eye contact with her, but he only looked away.

"Dad."

"For all we know, they could've been the cause of this attack." Tamlin said, finally looking at Azalea, but instead he was looking down on her. Obviously annoyed that he was about to be lectured by his own daughter.

"They are our allies."

"Not yet. We can handle this on our own."

"It's been days and we still don't know the cause of the attack, or who attacked."

"That doesn't give Lucien the right-"

"I hope this commotion isn't about us." A voice cut off Tamlin, one Azalea had never heard before. Tamlin only simmered with more rage, although he tried to compose himself. 

Azalea slowly turned around to see the spymaster standing next to a tall male with dark hair and violet eyes. It was obvious that in front  of her stood the High Lord of the Night Court. Azalea knew she should introduce herself, but all she could think about was reinforcing her mental shields.