She gasped.

"Don't think of me as an android. Think of me as your brother. I may not age or die, but that means I'll always be here, whenever you need me."

I watched Wendy's mouth open with shock, not fear. There were flecks of life dancing in her eyes, like stars. Her kicking slowed and for the first time, she stopped pulling at the doll's head. It took a minute, but once I leaned back into my space, she smiled and looked at the toy in her hands. "Do you know who this is?" she asked me.

"No," I answered honestly. It looked like a regular fairy doll to me. "Who is it?"

"This is Tinkerbell, and she's a Tinker fairy," Wendy said, wiggling the doll in the air. "She likes to follow Peter Pan around Neverland when he takes care of his Lost Boys."

My laugh brought crinkles to my eyes, deep lines I could feel. Peter Pan was a story my cousins knew and made me watch over and over again. If I had to choose between that or Aladdin, I went for the thief who got the girl in the end. Not the boy who never died.

But I saw pure happiness come off Wendy in electronic waves when she mentioned Tinkerbell's name. And when she pulled her doll back through the fence to hug it against her chest, I knew the story was more to her than just the doll.

"That's really cool." I pulled my arm back to ruffle the hair on the top of her head. "Nothing wrong with fairies. Or fairytales, for that matter. Keep that imagination, it's a good thing."

"Think so?" Wendy glanced back into the kitchen. "Will Mr. Juan and Mrs. Linda like it?"

I looked back with her as my mother lowered the tablet and ended the voice call. "They'll love it," I said, honestly. "I had a wild imagination growing up. I think it was their favorite thing about me."

"Yeah?" Wendy smiled so big I felt the joy come off of her like rays from the sun.

"Yeah." I couldn't help but smile, too. But then I leaned close and spoke softly, with care, "But you know you can call them Mom and Dad, right? You're a part of our family now."

Wendy scooted away from the porch's ledge and fixed the bottom of her green dress. "I can?" Smiling, she stood, with Tinkerbell still pressed to her chest. "I am."

Nodding, I leaned back on my hands.

"And I'll call you Peter Pan, is that okay?"

No one had ever given me a nickname before. I was either Javier, Javi, or you—nothing else. But for someone to see me as more than what I was and what I used to be, was nice. Refreshing. And my next smile was more than a programmed reaction. Cheerfulness rang in my core.

"That's fine," I said as my parents walked onto the porch. I kept my eyes on Wendy, and asked, "Will you be Tinkerbell?"

"Nope." Wendy pulled up the hem of her dress and curtsied. "I'm just Wendy. And I can be your Lost Girl."

When she turned to give me the same bow of respect, I stopped her midway. As her big eyes peered up at me with curiosity, I ruffled her red hair. "If I'm Peter Pan, and you're my lost girl, then know I'll always protect you. You know why?"

Wendy, with the biggest smile ever, said, "Because no one calls Peter Pan a coward and lives!"

I laughed. Nothing could destroy her fantasy world. So, I reached over and tapped her nose once. "Whatever you say, Wendy."

|||

The sun beat down on my face. Grass brushed against my cheek with a gentle push from the wind. A wind that carried the quiet sobs of a woman. But not just any woman.