Chapter Twelve: The Spear, Part Two

Start from the beginning

Monica touched the spot. "Thanks. I forgot about that."

Cass nodded.

Monica looked over just in time to see Dean flip the spear around. "Ow," he said. Then, "Wait, I got it, it's cool."

"Can I try?"

Dean looked at her. "It's taller as you are."

She narrowed her eyes. "I know that. I'm not blind."

Dean shrugged. "Here."

Sam looked at him, eyes wide. "Dean--"

"Relax. She can always heal herself, worse comes to worst."

Monica stood back and flipped it a few times, with more grace than Dean. She tossed it in the air once and caught it effortlessly.

"Where'd you learn to do that?"

She shrugged. "Using my sword, I suppose." She handed it back to him.

He took it and looked at her and Jack, then at Cass. "How are we?"

"They're both good as new."

"Good. And, Monica? Where is our little friend?"

"Heaven. Waiting." She folded her arms. "You owe me another apology."

Dean blinked. "What for?"

"I told you Michael had something planned."

Dean sighed. "Fine." He looked at her. I'm sorry I brushed you off, okay?"

She smiled. "I forgive you." She paused.

Cass looked at them both. "We have to remember, Michael has monsters all over the city. If he feared us in the least, he would have sent some."

"Yeah, well, he could have killed me," Sam said. "Back at the shipping facility."

"He wants us here," Monica whispered.

Dean looked at her. "Why?"

"I don't know."

"We have to remember," Cass said, "Michael will sense my and Monica's approach."

"So, zero element of surprise," Dean said.

"We could run into a trap," Sam added.

"Which is set by a full-power archangel," Cass continued.

Dean grinned. "Impossible odds." He paused. "Feels like home."

"Can we get out of here now?" Monica asked.

Dean looked at her. "Yeah. Yeah, we can."

And they did.

                                                                                         ✴✴✴                                                                                   

Monica held her breath and tried to stay calm. They were finally going to kill Michael. In a few minutes, he'd be dead.

She was with Castiel, so Sam, Dean, and Jack would have the advantage of surprise.

"Castiel," she heard Michael call. "Monica, darling."

She looked at Cass who only pressed a finger to his lips.

"You do realize I can feel both of you in here."

We know, bitch, Monica thought.

"There's really no need to be--" Cass jumped out and tried to angel blade him, while Monica went for the other side with her sword. Michael slammed Monica into the wall so hard she couldn't stand up, just watch as Cass tried to dodge her hits. She threw him into the wall and held him up by the neck. "Tell me something, Cass," she said. "Why would you just bring the girl?"

Monica struggled to sit up, but every movement sent pain flashing through her body.

Michael threw Cass, over and over and over again.

Just as Monica managed to stand up, Cass caught her eye. "Go!" He yelled.

Monica didn't want to leave, but she knew there was nothing she could do to Michael now, anyway. So she ran.

Monica found Sam. "She's hurt Cass. Bad. He told me to come to you."

Just then the door opened, and before Sam could answer Dean jumped out with the spear and Michael slammed Sam into the floor.

Dean missed a few times and struggled to dodge her.

Finally, they just stood across from each other. "You got it," Michael said.

"I sure did," Dean replied.

Then the fighting started again. Monica hung with Jack towards the back, watching.

Dean's spear work was impressive, but Michael knocked him down anyway, before picking him up by his neck. "I'm so glad you could come for dinner tonight," she purred. "I know you hate me Dean, but don't forget, you let me out." She dropped him. "And now you get to see it. Everything your mistake will make possible. All the bloodshed, all the death, all on you."

Sam grabbed the spear. "Dean!" He shouted, and slid it to him.

Dean picked it up and started slashing again.

At this point, Monica had her eyes closed. She didn't want to see if Michael killed him, or Sam, or Cass. She just listened to the song of fighting and tied to keep her breath even.

She only opened them when there was a stall in the noise. She looked to see Dean with the spear aimed at Michael.

"Kill him!" Jack screamed.

And then Monica realized what was happening. "No! Dean!" She ran up behind him only to be flung into the wall by Michael.

And then Michael's vessel fell.

"Dean?" Cass asked.

Dean held out the spear and broke it in two. Then he turned to them, eyes glowing archangel-blue.

"No," Sam breathed.

"Yeah," Michael said. "When I gave up Dean, you didn't think to question? Ask why? Dean was...resisting me. He was too attached to you. To all of you."

Monica managed to sit up and look at him. Her palms had started glowing, even though there was nothing she could do with them at the moment. 

"He wouldn't stop--squirming," Michael continued. "To get out, to get back. So I left. But not without leaving the door open...just a crack." Michael picked up a glass.

"Why wait?" Monica asked, forcing herself to her feet. 

"To break him, to crush him, to disappoint him so completely that this time, he'll be nice and quiet for a change. Buried. And he is. He's gone." Michael took a drink. 'And now I am a whole army out there. Waiting. Ready for my command. Ready for this." Michael held up his hand and snapped his fingers.