Chapter Nine

Instinctively, Bran tackled Amari to the ground, using his body to shield her from the blast. Once the shockwave had passed and there was no longer any dangers of getting hit by shrapnel, he rolled off of her. Standing up, he held out a hand to pull her to her feet. "Right, I suppose I should thank you for that. I was a little too caught off guard to put a shield up around us," Amari stated, letting him help her up. Bran nodded in acknowledgement. "So, since this clearly went sideways, how do we get the last ingredient for your spell?" he asked. Amari huffed in annoyance. "Did you really think the greenhouse was the only place to find it? While I didn't expect someone to blow up half my ingredients today, I knew something like this might happen eventually. When you are as powerful as I am, there's no end to the list of enemies you have. I've prepared for an attack like this. Everything in there was easily replaceable, including the Mandrake Root we need for your son. I know a place it grows wild, and if we're lucky, there will still be a few live plants this time of year," she stated, scanning the sky. "Looking for something?" the werewolf inquired. "Hyacinthus flew off when the bomb exploded, and I need to know if it was damaged before she got to safety," came the answer. Before Bran could ask what she meant, the hawk screeched from somewhere above them, and descended to perch on her mistress's shoulder. Immediately, the sorceress began fussing with the jewel that hung from the bird's neck. Finding it unharmed, she breathed a sigh of relief. "What's so important about your bird's necklace?" Bran wanted to know. Amari seemed to hesitate, as if she was deciding whether or not she could trust him with the information. Coming to a decision, she told him, "It's no ordinary necklace. The jewel is my soulstone, and I needed to make sure it wasn't damaged or destroyed." Bran could tell that the witch would say no more on the matter, and so decided to drop it for now. Silently, he led the way back to the car.