Chapter Six

"My mother stole the book, didn't she?" Bran growled. "Well, that depends. If your mother was Briallen Roberts, then yes. Though, I suppose that could have just been either her maiden name or an alias," Amari mused. Bran nodded. His mother's name had been Briallen, and he vaguely recalled her telling him her surname was Roberts before she married his father, Tristan Cornick. "Well, you'll be happy to know that she is now dead. Though that will make getting your book back slightly more complicated. Especially since I recall her giving it to her apprentice not long before her death," he told the witch. A look of relief overcame Amari's face at the news of Briallen's death, only to be replaced by worry when she heard the evil woman had trained an apprentice. "Fortunately, when Briallen died, the spell she used to hide the book from me was deactivated, as it was directly linked to her life force. As long as she lived, I could not locate it. However, I couldn't kill her myself because of her werewolf slaves, which I assume was you and your eldest son. I can try another tracking spell, but she most likely taught her apprentice the spell when she gave them the book. And I highly doubt that Briallen would give the book to someone who couldn't handle its power. Regardless, I'm sure we can figure something out. So, does this mean we have a deal?" Bran studied her carefully before nodding. "Good. Let's go see about healing your son then, shall we?" Amari suggested, standing up and heading for the door. Bran and Angus followed her. "So what makes this book so powerful, anyways?" Angus asked. Amari glanced at him before replying,"It's my own personal grimoire. In it is every spell I know. And it has a very special defense system. If the witch who opens it isn't strong enough to control the power, the book will absorb their magic. Any other species tries to open it, the book will release a burst of magic that kills the creature. The only non-witch that can safely open the book is the current owner's soulmate. So you can understand why I don't want it in the hands of someone who would abuse that power." Angus nodded, now realizing just how powerful this artifact is. If that was the book that allowed Bran's mother to control him and Samuel, they could not let it stay in the hands of black witches. Especially since Bran, the strongest werewolf of all, escaped the spell only when ordered to kill his son. If it could hold the Marrok, there was no telling what might happen if a lesser wolf was under the spell. One thing was for sure. They had to get that book back, regardless of what it would take.