Prologue

The call came in early. Bran picked up the phone expecting it to be his son, Charles, telling him everything had gone as expected. He had sent Charles out to deal with a group of rogue werewolves trying to start their own pack without permission. The rogues had been trying to take over the Emerald City Pack's territory. The fact that the pack of rogues had a witch working for them had come as a surprise, but that would be no problem for Charles. Especially since he had his mate, an Omega by the name of Anna, with him. Those two made a formidable team. So imagine Bran's surprise when he picked up the phone and heard Anna's voice, shaking and filled with panic. "Slow down, Anna! I can't understand a word you're saying. Now take a deep breathe and tell me what's going on," Bran said, cutting off Anna's panicked rambling. She started again, slower than before. "It's bad, Bran. We thought they only had the one witch, but we were wrong. They had an entire coven of black witches. Charles and I were able to kill them, but we weren't fast enough. About fifteen of them were able to combine their powers into one spell. They had aimed the spell at me, but Charles jumped in front of me at the last second. The spell hit him, and now he won't wake up. He's acting like he's stuck in some sort of nightmare or something. What do I do, Bran? Whatever's going on, he's scared and hurting. We're not far outside Emerald City Pack territory, so I'm taking him there. I figure, if it's witchcraft, maybe Moira can help." Moira is the white witch on the local Pack's payroll. Bran sighed. Things could never be easy, could they? Why couldn't this have been a routine mutt hunt? Because he is the Marrok, that's why. Because nothing can ever be simple for him and his family. Bran's wolf stirred. Without a mate, Bran's control over the wolf was slipping. It wasn't an issue before Leah left. They had gotten into another argument, and Bran had gone out for a run to cool off. By the time he got back, Leah had packed her things and left. It wasn't much later their mate bond was broken. Last Bran had heard, Leah had left the States and joined one of the British packs. He sighed again. "Alright. I'll be there as soon as I can. Call me if you find out anything or if Charles's condition changes," he told Anna, then hung up. Grabbing his keys, he put his phone in his pocket and headed out the door. Next stop, Seattle, Washington.