19

She furrowed her brows, looking between the two of us with venom spewing from her eyes. If looks could kill, we'd burst into flames and burn alive right there. She sliced her hand through ours, separating our hand-holding.

"Hope!" I hissed, as she pulled me to her. She cupped my cheeks, eyeing my face. Inspecting every inch of my cheeks, eyes, and neck.

"You better not have hurt her." She growled in a calm tone, eyeing Cam like he was a criminal. He shook his head, running a hand along his creased forehead.

"Don't be an idiot," I grumbled, swatting her hands away from me. "He wouldn't hurt me." She turned her attention back to him in a flash. Stepping in front of me like a protective mama bear saving her cub from danger.

"If you hurt her, I swear!" She pointed a finger at him and I swatted her again.

"This isn't the time, Hope, I swear to God," Cam said nothing, and I didn't blame him.

"Then please tell me you didn't hook up in the closet. You know how bad that would look for him?" It was his turn to roll his eyes and gave a pained groan.

"We just talked," he said in a stern tone.

"Talked?" she hissed, taking a step forward. Her eyes narrowed in on him, looking like a snake about to coil and strike. "I'm out here because I heard you!" She said pointing a finger hard into his chest, poking the shit out of his pecs. "I would have burst through that door if you wouldn't have locked it! I swear to..."

"Christ on a cracker, Hope, I'm fine. You knew it upset him with me being here. He yelled. I explained and I'm in one piece." I stepped between them, removing her finger from his chest.

For a woman who stood at a mere 5′3 and 120 pounds soaking wet. She sure had balls of steel. My sister was more intimidating than a man with a gun. Or hell even Jason with a machete. Or the chainsaw guy at the end of a haunted house who chased you until your heart exploded. I mean, you get the idea. She's tiny and scary. No one intimidated her, and she took shit from no one. But thanks to our upbringing, we had to grow up tough and grow up fast. No thin skin for the Meyer's girls.

She licked her lips. Taking a step back from us and threw her arms in the air. I could tell she was biting her tongue and swallowing the harsh words she wanted to say. Short and sweet speeches were never her specialty.

"Fine! If that's how it's gonna be!" She threw her arms into the air giving up again. "I wanted to tell you I am heading down to my courtroom. Ugh. This.... this sucks. Mom found me and cornered me and...." She put her face in her hands only looking back at me when she had collected herself. "Just be careful," she whispered and then looked up at Cam.

"Please take care of my little sister. And don't hold hands, don't bring attention to this relationship. The other side will eat you alive for bringing a woman who is not your family to your late family's murder trial. OK?" He simply nodded and tried giving her a small smile.

"Of course," he whispered. "I would never hurt your sister, just so you know."

"Yeah, well—you better not because news flash, there's two of me and my other sister is a lot more mouthy and can pack a punch." She widened her eyes and gestured with her hands threatening him with her evil glare. Or what she tried to make look evil, more like an intimidating hamster. He took a step back, nodding at her protective stance.

"OK well---Love you, byeeeee!" She gave a wave and took off in a rush towards the elevator.

"I'm sorry for my sister, she's......"

"Protective?" He questioned, raising a brow. He seemed more calm and collective than before. Almost settling back into his old self with me.

"Overly! More motherly than I need sometimes." I took a deep breath as we began to walk. He distanced himself behind me until we made it to the entrance of the courtroom.