16

It was finally Friday and my meeting with Reese went well. I felt so giddy and giggly marching up the stairs to my apartment to tell C.J. we were still in the clear. We didn't have to be afraid of losing each other or our work because Neil hadn't said a word. Or Reese really didn't care about us screwing? I hoped it was true either way. Because I didn't want to think about that picture again. Neil could show it to anyone. But whatever! For now, the world stepped off my shoulders. I felt ten times lighter like I had finally confessed the biggest secret of my life.

I took a deep breath before turning the doorknob and walked in with the world's biggest smile, only to stop.

"Cam, we are...." I stopped mid-sentence, my tongue caught in my teeth. My smile faded immediately at the sight of him sitting there. His hands folded in his lap, refusing to make eye contact. Something was off.

He didn't look at me. His ass stayed planted on the couch, his belongings packed around him. His laptop in its leather sleeve, like he had somewhere to be.

"I have to leave here." He said in a monotone voice. His eyes stuck forward, not giving me the courtesy of eye contact. He couldn't bring himself to do it. What was he hiding from me?

"I—uh—Reese didn't fire me?" I questioned, shutting the apartment door finally.

"I have business to take care of," he said, standing up. Gathering his things into his arms still avoiding my eyes like the plague.

I swallowed the burning lump in my throat. Trying to stop the emotions threatening to spill from the brim of my eyes. Watching him leave ripped my heart to shreds and I couldn't do a damn thing about it. I couldn't get on my knees and beg him to stay. He didn't live here, and he wasn't my boyfriend. He wasn't my anything, but a fuck buddy. But—I thought we cared for one another! Last night was great. He made love to me. Made sure I was ok. He kissed my toes for God's sake!

"When—will you be back?" If ever? My lip quivered, and I sunk my teeth into it, trying to reel myself back in. I didn't want him to see me like this. If he didn't care, then I didn't care!

He refused to look at me as he walked past towards the door. "A week? Maybe two? I just—I have to leave." He said gruffly, pushing past me like I was piece trash on the side of the road. He couldn't wait to leave me. And here I was bottling up all these feelings for him, basically in love with him and he had no idea.

"Fine. Whatever," I rounded my shoulders, as he walked out the door and slammed it without a second glance. I leaned against it, my broken heart hoping he'd come back through telling me he punk'd me or yell April fools! Despite it being October. The only sounds heard through the door were his shoes furiously stomping into the stairs and a door slamming shut.

Areeggghhhh!!! Fuck him. Fuck everything. Fuck it all to hell!! How did I go wrong?! Did I seem too needy? Was I too clingy? Was I too me? Fuuuckkkk! He couldn't give me the decency of an explanation of why he had to leave! Ugh.

I wanted to punch something. Maybe Amanda, she deserved it? Drink something. Jose was calling my name! I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry, but I have done that too much lately. I needed something better. Something to take away the stabbing pain in my shattered heart.

Go out?

Yeah—I needed to go out and sort these feelings out. You know, the proper more mature way to get over him. Because every healthy-minded person went straight to alcohol for comfort or maybe it was just me. Too bad I was down a drinking buddy, but at least I still had Yvette. My dearest friend, Yvette. She was in for a wild and crazy surprise tonight.

Me: Are you up for some drinks tonight?

Yvette: How are you feeling and yes, babe. Let me tell Aaron and ill meet you wherever.