Chapter 9 - The turning point - part 1

Start from the beginning

Andie stopped and caught his arm.

“Bane, stop...”

She hesitated, trying to find the right words.

“I... Look, I won't lie by saying it isn't a little weird. But I didn't hesitate to accept your invitation because I don't want to go with you. It's because I didn't want to hurt you, and every moment with you does just that, so I didn't want to make it worse. But... if you're ready to do it... then I don't see how it's fair to refuse. And besides, I didn't say yes to back out at the last moment,” she added with a smile.

She was maybe sugarcoating it a little, but the part about her not wanting to hurt Bane was true.

“And anyway, you said it yourself, it's better than a Saturday night both all alone in our corner.”

Bane smiled, but there was something in his eyes that Andie thought said he knew she wasn't being entirely truthful.

“Okay, then. Tomorrow at eight.”

“Tomorrow at eight.”

The bell rang so they waved and parted ways, Andie hoping the dance really would help point her in the right direction about her situation with Bane.

The rest of the day wore on normally, with Jessica trying to get Andie to tell her what song she was going to sing.

“Jess, Andie's already going up there for your benefit, leave her alone,” Emily said at lunch.

Andie was thankful for the intervention, because oddly enough, Emily was the only one who could contain Jessica. Or a little, at least. And Andie was nervous enough without Jessica bugging her all day. Isabelle then managed to change the subject and things went back to normal. Even Andie managed to relax somewhat. For a short while, anyway, because by four, the prospect of the audition drawing ever nearer made her stomach queasy. And when she left school to pick up Hannah, she was trying very hard to keep calm.

“Hey, Andie!” Hannah said cheerfully, clambering into the front seat.

“Hi, Hannah, good day?”

“It was okay. Hey, can I come listen to you sing, tonight?”

“Of course, I've already reserved seats for your guys;” Andie said.

“Really? Cool!” Hannah grinned. “We'll be like VIPs!”

Andie chuckled.

“That's it,” she said.

They made their way home, where Andie headed to her room and changed, as the contestants were supposed to be at Washington Center two hours early.

“You sure you don't want us to come with you?” Hank asked as she pulled her coat on.

“Yes, I am. I'll be fine,” she said. “I'll see you later.”

She kissed his cheek and headed out.

Washington Center was already rather busy that evening. It was dark, cold and noisy outside. Eventually, they were let inside where they checked they were on the list. Andie could see why. It would be easy for someone who didn't fit the criteria to say they had been accepted and slip in, which would mean no end of complications. She was indeed on the list and let through with a number tag. She followed the signs backstage, where people were already gathering. She thought about trying to make conversation, but soon saw they were too tense to want to do that. Which didn't help her calm down. After a while, a member of the staff came in and called for attention:

“Now, the judges will be in the audience, in the front row, and they'll call out your number. So when that happens, you go on to the stage. You give your name, and tell them whatever song you're going to sing. Okay? Good. Break a toe, or whatever the saying is...”