EP 20: BLESS THE DEAD BODIES

EPISODE TWENTY

'bless the dead bodies'

WE LEFT THE doctor nursing a scotch, swirling it around with a thoughtful expression on his face, saluting us with half-hearted regard and the air of a man who was finished with his quest, this lifetime and the people around it. We then formed a unit but I refused to let go of Leon's hand in fear of what was going on in his head. He had been quiet ever since asking that question with a faraway look on his face. I could only hope that holding his hand would ground him, return him back to me.

Quinn slid beside me, taking my arm with her own. "He doesn't look okay," she whispered.

I could only shrug. "Are you sure we can all walk back at the same time to the party? Doesn't it feel too openly saying 'it was all a ruse, we're up to something'?"

Quinn shrugged. "I don't really know what goes on in Ms. Cordelia's head, but I trust her wholeheartedly."

"Is she really paying you?"

"Of a sort." Something about her grin was shark-like and mischievous that I could only shake my head at, smiling briefly. Quinn knew what she was doing despite the lack of level-headedness. My best friend would be okay.

Our walk back was quick but silent and heavy. The hallways, though tight and small, was faster going back by ourselves without lugging around a drugged doctor, and we soon found ourselves back to the garden and up to the balcony where the music and chatter were back in volumes.

We all felt unsure, staying around in the fringes. Jimmy kept moving if not pacing, snatching champagne from walking waiters and chugging them down. The party was back in full swing, the small orchestra playing powerfully amidst the chatter and bustle of gossamer gowns and silk suits. No trace of the blackout, the scandal behind curtains, or the chaos with the missing doctor.

It felt alien. Not a sign of agitation.

"There's Cordelia," James said, nodding to the centre. He tilted his last glass of champagne until there was nothing, then brushed his mouth with the hem of his jacket.

Dr. Hamel took the empty glass with a pointed disdain. "Honestly. I don't know if I feel comfortable with you this drunk and operating a gun."

That took me by surprise. "You brought a gun?"

"I'm an officer," James said, ears burning. Then he pinched another champagne.

"And you're drunk," Quinn mused.

"Not yet," Dr. Hamel said, taking the flute before he could down it again. "But you've got to stop drinking. Cordelia's coming."

Cordelia Song's expression was softened, her walk towards us didn't look like she had a destination in mind, sharing brief smiles to whoever caught her eye or briefly raising the champagne flute in her hand to a few nodding gentlemen. But nevertheless, they parted for her like the Red Sea.

When she was close enough, she stopped dead in front of us, her softened expression for the crowd hardening into severe lines against her face. Her eyes were to her brother, her champagne all but thrusted to Dr. Hamel as she put both her hands on her brother's face.

"뭐가 문제 야?" she whispered, concern touching the creases of her eyebrows.

Leon shook his head, briefly, taking the champagne flute from the doctor and downing it.

"Leon," I warned. He wasn't good with alcohol and plying himself now was not going to make him feel better. We were in enemy territory. Not being sharp enough could cost him everything.