EP 17: MINGLING WITH DEVILS (PART TWO)

EPISODE SEVENTEEN

'mingling with devils'

part 02

AS SOON AS we fell in on ourselves outside of the ballroom, we adjusted to the darkness, the moonlight giving enough light for us to see each other, wide-eyed and still shocked from the way things escalated.

"That was - " I gasped, trying to breathe. Running in heels was one thing; running in this dress, careful not to trip all over the curled fabric at the bottom was another.

" - surreal," Leon finished, breathing as hard as I did. "We need to get in shape."

I laughed, despite myself. Then turned my eyes toward our exterior. The balcony had a staircase leading down, outside into an enclosed garden walled by the former theatre's walls. There was a delicate fountain in the middle and browned and orange plants in reverence to the autumnal season. Standing bizarrely by himself was the doctor, leaning against the fountain as if he was ill, looking around as if he never intended to move.

I shared a look with Leon before I quickly descended the stairs, trying not to show my excitement or awareness of the situation. I came down first, adjusted my expression, and then touched his shoulder.

He jumped; light eyes wild behind glasses. "Goodness!"

"Oh, I'm so, so sorry!" The worry was at least a little real, seeing as how distorted and pale he looked. "I just thought you seemed rather ill, sir, so I was going to ask if you need help?"

"O-oh, how awfully kind." He took a deep breath, once realising a woman was no danger. "Really, just. I was standing inside just a second ago then darkness - and suddenly I was grabbed by - by the guards." He swallowed. So he thinks it's Moretti. "Told me I'd be safer here. Oh, but I think I must've ate something weird, my apologies for worrying you."

I smiled softly, an idea forming in my head. "Not at all. Actually, Miss Nakamura asked me to take you somewhere a little safer than outside in the open here. After you've cleared your head. A bit of a mess inside, is all."

"Aoi?" He blinked, then stood up, nodding. At the mention of the name, I noticed he went two tones paler. He was afraid of her. "O-of course."

"Alright." I tried to sound warm, sincere. Trying to imagine the slip of a girl with the dark hair, dark eyes, and the palest skin with her usual hardened expression in most photographs I saw and flipped my attitude from hers. Testing if a warmer person, a kinder tone would make the doctor much more malleable.

I offered my arm. "You can take my arm, doctor, if you're still feeling unwell." I wasn't going to flirt, that wasn't my intention, but laying it on thick seemed to work. He stopped blinking apprehensively and even smiled a little, taking my arm.

"This seems rather discourteous," he said, voice stronger. "A lady taking the arm of a gentleman."

I smiled. "Not at all. Leon? Show us the way."

I didn't actually know if Leon knew, I was hoping since I had no idea where it'll be safer to talk to the doctor, but Leon emerged from the bottom of the stairs - Dr. Hamel in tow in a black suit and black turtleneck. The light showed his dark hair was cut shorter and he looked a little more annoyed and exhausted than the last time I saw him, but it was him. And he looked good in his outfit.

He nodded towards a red door at the other side of the balcony. There were several doors, leading to other ends of the place, but I followed orders and led the doctor to the smaller door, aware of the cold breeze, his unsteady weight from a likely unnatural food poisoning, and the quiet hammering of my heart.