Chapter 34: Nephinae

I didn't know what else to say, and I ended up staring at him.

Long hair as blue-black as the sky on a night with no moon; white skin, smooth and doll-like. Strangest of all were the lush caramel brown eyes with flecks of reds, yellows and oranges staring wide-eyes at me, mouth agape.

"W-what did you do?!"

It was hard not to laugh at Wolf's pouty, childish face as I answered him," I tried releasing part of the limiter on your power. Since I couldn't remove it all together without redoing the entire contract again, the best I could do was add a way for me to activate a temporary release," I explained." This." I gestured to his appearance." Was an unexpected development."

"Well can you fix it?" Wolf demanded." I look like a freaking kid!"

I nodded with a sigh," Unfortunately it seems like this is the limit of you current mana level. For now, anyway, it looks like you don't have enough for a full change," I sighed again." Sorry, but this is the best I can do."

Wolf groaned," so you're telling me I'm stuck in the body of a ten year old?"

"Y-yes, but...I can try to fix it," I said quickly." I can do some more research and try something else."

"N-No, it's—" Wolf sighed." It's fine. At least I can change back now. I guess that's better than nothing."

"Y-you're being surprisingly calm about this whole thing," I said.

Wolf shrugged," What else am I supposed to do? It's not like freaking out and yelling at you is going to fix anything," He answered." I'll just deal with it for now."

"Oh."

"...what's with that reaction?"

"That's just...unexpected coming from you," I said." Anyway, I suppose we should go explain this to Khirion, huh?"

"Guess so, but first...I think we should find some better fitting clothes."

It was at that moment I realized Wolf wasn't wearing his normal clothes. Instead, he was wearing a beat up oversized shirt. His hair was also messy and tangled. Not at all like how he usually looked.

"Oh, I hadn't really noticed," I said surprised.

"I shall inform the lord Khirion and retrieve a spare set of clothes," Yukiko said with a bow.

"Great," Wolf stood up and stretched." Cause I'd like a bath. My hair is a mess."

"Ok then."

Wolf left with the blonde maid, Yukiko and I picked up all the books scattered around. With the addition of what Yukiko had brought me, I had about 30 now. I carried the new ones and Luna and Emiko split the others. Together, we carried the books back to my room. When I got there, I dumped the books on the bed with a sigh.

"Tired, are we?"

I whirled around to find a figure in a black cloak sitting in the open window.

"It's you again," I released the mana I had reflexively gathered in my hand when I recognized the figure.

"As I promised," the man jumped from the window and dipped smoothly into an exaggerated bow." You did as I asked. Now it's my turn to do a bit of explaining."

"Yes, it is," I said, not letting my guard down as the cloaked man took a few steps toward me.

"I see you're still wary of me," the man mused.

"Can you blame me?" I shot bacl." I don't know who you are and you attacked me when we first met."

"As I said, everything will be explained."

"When?"

"It's not safe to talk here, and I do not have much time left. If you wish to know more, you must choose, now. Do you trust me?" The figure extended a gloved hand.

I could hear footsteps moving closer from the hall,"...fine," I sighed and took their hand.

There was a sudden flash of light and a sharp pain shot through my head. When I opened my eyes, the figure was gone.

"...what is..." I was even more surprised and confused when I could suddenly hear three numbers echoing in my head. Coordinates. I jumped as there was a knock on the door," Come in."

"Pardon the intrusion," Yukiko bowed as she walked in." The lord Khirion had been informed of the development with sir Wolf. Is there anything else I can do for you, my Lady?"

"No, nothing. Thank you."

Yukiko tilted her head to the side," Something wrong?" She asked, her tail swishing against her skirt.

I shook my head," It's nothing. I think I'll go take a walk," I grabbed my coat from the chair by the table. Tugging it on as I squeezed past Yukiko out into the hall. As I made my way outside, I pulled my link stone from the inner coat pocket and set it in my ear.

There was a brief crackle and a worried voice sounded through the line," Nephi? Is that you? Oh, thank the gods!"

"Aien? Is something wrong? You sound worried, did something happen?" I asked.

"Did something happen? She asks. Uh, yeah. You happened," he exclaimed." You disappeared for over a month! What the hell happened?"

"S-sorry! A lot of stuff came up," I said quickly.

I couldn't see him, but I knew Aien was fuming," Explain. Now."

I rushed out an explanation of everything that had happened since I last talked with him. Aimed listened silently, and, when I finished talking about what happened today, leaving out everything about the cloaked figure, Aien sighed.

"Ok, so...You joined a party and took an escort quest. That quest was actually to escort a beastman noble and now you're staying in the beastman empire."

"Basically. Yes."

"Alright. So, what do you plan to do now?" Aien asked.

"I'm not sure. I think I might do some digging here. I'll have better access to information since the emperor's daughter owes me a few favors," I answered." What do you think?"

Aien was quiet for a few moments,"...just...please be careful. Don't do anything stupid, ok? Check in again in a week or so, please?"

"Ok, I'll be careful. Thanks, Aien."

"No problem. Talk to you soon." There was a quiet click and the link was quiet.

I let out a small sigh and stored the stone back in my pocket," Sorry for lying to you, but I know you'll try to stop me if you knew what I was doing."

I stayed outside for a few more minutes before returning to my room. When I got there, I found Wolf sitting in the chair t the table. Since he was like a young child now his feet didn't even touch the floor. I noticed he was wearing a set of clothes similar to what he usually wore, and was struggling to pull a brush through the tangled knots in his long, shiny black hair. Wolf didn't seem to notice, or care that I had walked in, but Yukiko walked over the moment she noticed me.

"Welcome back," She said with a small bow." How was your walk?"

"It was fine," I answered." Say...you wouldn't happen to know where Khirion and Mia are, do you?"

Yukiko shook her head.

"Ok then. Do me a favor and have Lynari meet me by khirion's office please."

Yukiko nodded and scurried off. When the sound of her footsteps faded down the hall, I left my room as well. Making my way down to Khirions office. When I got there, I knocked on the door. A voice inside called enter.

I walked into the office to find Khirion sitting at his desk absorbed in a stack of papers in front of his. Sugo stood behind him, the one who had answered my knock.

"Excuse me, Khirion? I need to talk to you."