Chapter 19: Haren

When he got up, like every morning, Haren thought he was the first one awake. However, it wasn't long before he noticed someone else had beat him to it. Nephinae had just walked over from a hallway leading out of the room. When she saw that Haren was awake, she looked away with a guilty expression.

"S-Sorry. I went off on my own, but I didn't go too far," Nephinae mumbled.

Haren smiled," come help me with breakfast."

Nephinae nodded.

It was around eight when everyone had woken up. After eating, they split up into pairs to explore the ruins. Haren, Marylyn and Nephinae were picked to search the lower floors while Silver, Asashi, Radelia, and Sylviana explored the main floor. Zylkas, August, Aien and Aimar went to the higher floors. Meanwhile, Grace, Artemis, and Elviya stayed at their makeshift camp with the familiars.

"I think we should go this way," Nephinae said, walk-in. In the direction of the hall she had come from earlier that morning.

Haren and Marylyn followed her without and arguments since neither of them had any better ideas. When they got to the end of the hall, they found a room with busted doors. The girls helped Haren push them open, and they found a large staircase leading down in the center of the room.

"Well,that was easy to find," Marylyn shrugged, skipping down the steps.

"You knew these were here?" Haren glanced at Nephinae as the two of them followed after Marylyn.

"N-no. I just had a feeling is all."

"You shouldn't go off on your own until we know it's safe," Haren said, deciding not to push the topic further. Nephinae nodded with a gloomy expression.

"Come on, slowpokes! These ruins won't explore themselves!" Marylyn whined, puffing her cheeks.

"C-coming!" Nephinae brightened, running over to the brunette.

"You can go on ahead as long as you don't go too far, ok?" Haren said, pulling out a book to start a map of the area.

"Ok!" Grinning, Marylyn ran ahead, pulling Nephinae along behind her by the hand.

Haren couldn't help smiling to himself at how well the two girls were getting along. He was a little surprised by how close they'd gotten after only a few days, but he was happy. For a good two hours or so, Haren listened to the two girls run around ahead of him.

It was almost eleven when they came across a long hallway they couldn't see the end to. The girls had slowed to a walk, but Haren was still a distance behind them. Suddenly, there was a loud rumble. In an instant a part of the floor ahead crumbled while at the same time, a portion of the ceiling collapsed. The rocks fell between Haren and the girls. He could only watch as the two were swallowed by the hole.