Chapter 17: Haren

During the first night of their long trip, Haren was happy to find that Marylyn and Nephinae were getting along well with each other. The others quickly became acquainted with both Grace and Artemis as well. The first day Nym and Artemis were put in charge of driving the larger of the two wagons they were given by Elise, and Zylkas drove the smaller one. While eating dinner the night before, the group had decided to rotate drivers during the trip, so starting the next day, Haren took the place of Artemis, and Zylkas and Nym switched. Then, just after sunrise, they ate and got on the road again.

Though the sun had risen, the sky was completely covered in gray clouds threatening rain. While the weather did not seem to be in their favor, the clouds darkened with every passing moment, Haren, Zylkas, and Nym continued to drive the horses onward. It wasn't long before it started raining. Softly at first, but it turned to a full downpour after a few minutes. The road turned to slick mud and it was near impossible to see more than a few feet in front of them.

Haren stopped the horses on the side of the road and gestured for Nym to do the same.

"Why have we stopped, sir Haren?" The blond asked rather loudly to be heard over the drumming of rain.

"We're going to wait out the storm," Haren answered.

"But the storm might last the day, and even into tomorrow. It would be a waste of time to wait," Zylkas objected.

"It won't, trust me. The clouds will pass soon."

"Understood." The brothers nodded.

They waited for almost three hours before the darkest of the clouds had passed. A short while later the rain stopped entirely and the group continued. After camping the night, they were greeted by more dark clouds on the horizon in the morning. With a very dull and gloomy atmosphere they continued their travels.

A little over a month passed before the tired group of eleven finally arrived outside the town at the base of the mountain border. It was just after eight o'clock when they stopped. After emptying the wagons, Haren sent Nym and Zylkas to town to sell both the horses and wagons as they wouldn't be able to take them up the mountains. In the mean time, the rest of the group set up their camp a short distance from the road. Once the two knights had returned, they had a quick meal and spread out to sleep.

Haren, the first person on watch that night, sat near the smoldering remains of the fire. It wasn't long before he noticed the sound of footsteps coming from the road. Tense, he stood and crept closer to the source of the sound. Through the darkness he could make out the outlines of four people. Two girls and two boys. They were stopped on the side of the road and seemed to be arguing about something, but he wasn't close enough to clearly make out what they were saying.

As he watched the four figures, a light breeze picked up. Carrying with it a slightly familiar smell. Haren knew he recognized it, but couldn't think of why. That changed when the clouds shifted to let a bit of moonlight shine across the sky for a brief moment. The light was covered again quickly, but not before Haren was able to get a good look at the four. The tension in his shoulders relaxed as he recognized them.

"Hey you four. Looking for someone?" Haren said, stepping out on to the road. Surprised, the four people pulled out their weapons," it's me. Calm down." At his words, the small group seemed to recognize him and lowered their weapons.

"By the goddesses, Haren, you scared us."

"Sorry Aien." Haren shrugged.

"It's fine," the blond sighed.

"Follow me. Our camp isn't far."

Haren led the four of them back to the camp where a worried looking Nym was pacing by the fire.

"There you are!" Noticing the others, Nym reached for the sword at his hip," who are they?"

"Relax Nym. They're allies." Haren said.

The blond immediately let go of his sword and bowed deeply," my apologies."

"Don't worry about it. This is Aien, Aimar, Asashi and Radelia." Haren pointed to the four,"everyone, this is Nym. One of the knights Elise sent with us."

"Nice to meet you," Nym said with another bow.

"Same to you," Aimar answered.

"Alright, you guys. Get some sleep, we're leaving in the morning."