56. bad moods & assurances

Start from the beginning

"Nothing," I shook my head.

"You've been really quiet and that's unlike you."

I forced a smile, "So, what? A girl can't be really quiet?"

"You know what I mean. I'm just concerned. I noticed when we were back at your parents house."

I opened my mouth to say something about Chloe, but what was the point? What if I really was just making a big deal out of nothing?

If it's an ex, then it's a big deal! My subconscious screamed back at me.

He threw a quick glance at me, "You don't feel sick, do you?" His voice was etched with worry.

"No, I'm not. I think I'm just in a mood is all," I told him.

He nodded to my response, not saying anything else as he kept driving.

It didn't help that the journey back home was a bit far, and the journey was silent. The only sound that could be heard was River's occasional humming and tapping his finger against the steering. It was funny hearing him talk to himself from time to time.

I shut my eyes, not feeling the slightest bit of sleepy, but feeling the need to pass through the silence.

"Renée?" I heard River call moments later.

"Hmm?" I opened my eyes, sitting up in the seat. I looked outside the window and furrowed my eyebrows. It was the spot we usually came to when we needed a place to go. "What are we doing here?" I looked at him.

He shrugged, "We're here to talk."

I looked down at my phone, "River, it's 12:23am."

He flashed a toothy grin, "Yeah, and lucky for you, you don't have to go to school because it's already a Saturday."

I watched him sit on the hood of the car, running his fingers through his hair. "Come on," he patted the space in between his legs.

I sighed and walked to where he sat, sitting in between his leg, my back to him as I leaned into him. He wrapped his arms around me, pressing a kiss to my ear. "I was going to take you home, but I didn't want you leaving like that. I know something is wrong. Do you want to talk? I'll listen."

I swallowed, and with the confidence of not actually facing him, I spoke up after a while, "I can tell that she's still really into you."

"What are you talking about?"

I sighed and turned to face him, "I saw it, River. She called you... Chloe."

"Yeah, she did, but you saw me, I declined the call," he said.

"Because you were on the dinner table," I retorted almost immediately and he looked amused, "You think I would have taken the call otherwise?"

"She's your ex," I mumbled.

"Exactly. Ex-girlfriend. Please tell me you're not serious," he sighed.

"I want to go home," I rolled my eyes, pushing myself away from him as I started to make my way to the passenger's door.

"No, wait," he grabbed my wrist. "I'm sorry. I know you're not overreacting. Yes, she keeps calling and sending texts, but I promise, I never say anything to her."

River

"Look at me," I said to Renée, running my thumb over her hand. "Come on," I urged.

I stared into her brow eyes when she finally looked at me, "Do you not trust me?"

"I do, River," she spoke up. "It's just hard knowing there's an ex somewhere still trying to contact you."

"I didn't mean to make you feel insecure. You make me happy, and I'm fully dedicated to you and this relationship. I'm sorry about Chloe. In fact-" I took out my phone from my pocket and unlocked it in her presence, finding Chloe's contact and blocking her number. "-I blocked her. Hopefully she gets the hint now?"

She watched me and a smile slowly crept up her face. I pulled her closer to me and planted a kiss on her temple. "Don't worry about Chloe. I'll choose you over and over again."

Renée

I felt better about everything.

I was happy River had driven here in the first place. I needed it even if I didn't see it in the beginning. I looked back at him and I could see he was tired. "You look really tired," I voiced, running my fingers through his hair.

"Sleepy, yeah," he nodded. "I've got a job to do tomorrow."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"Its fine. You should work on getting your assignments done. Xavier will come with me, but we can do something fun on Sunday. "

I nodded, "That's fine. Now, you have to go home, so you can get some sleep. It's almost one."

He nodded before placing his lips over mine, making me reciprocate immediately. It was slow and passionate, his lips moved smoothly and was in sync with mine, and his tongue explored my mouth.

It took minutes before he pulled away and rested his forehead against mine. "I better get you home before Tanner sends out a search party."

*

Authors Note.

Hi!

I'm so sorry for not updating all these while. You're probably tired of hearing this, but I got so busy with school I didn't have the time to sit and write out a chapter. I'm currently on a swot vac., which is a week break before actual exams start, so I decided to bless you all with an update. The next time there will be an update will be after my exams, which end on Friday.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Let me know your favourite part!

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow me!