Episode 1 - Departure x and x Friends

Start from the beginning

Everyone is gathered around the giant fish which lies on the floor, excitedly chattering about Gon's accomplishment. Gon turns to Mito. 

"Mito-san!" Gon smiles, rushing to Mito. "I caught the Lord, as promised... So I can take the Hunter Exam, right? Right?"

Mito does a small nod.

Gon beams, "I promise to become a Hunter!"

Ging's portrait appears. Abe (Ging and Mito's grandmother) draws a chair out and sits as she speaks to Mito who looks sullen. "His eyes have the same shine as his father's." Abe lifts her cup up, "We can no longer stop him."

Gon is polishing his fishing rod as Mito asks Gon if he is certain and tells him that his father chose becoming a Hunter over becoming a father. "He chose becoming a Hunter over raising you!"

"Isn't that amazing?" Gon says, turning to Mito, "Being a Hunter is so great, he was willing to abandon his own kid!"

"Woah, there, Gon." Leorio says, "You should not be this positive about Ging being an asshole of a father."

Gon nervously laughs, "Well, I wasn't wrong?"

Mito argues back, "It's a dangerous job! You never know when you might lose your life! Don't you understand?"

The four are suddenly solemn as Mito's harsh, but painfully truthful words wash over them.

"I don't." Gon responds, "But I want to know more! I want to become a Hunter and discover why it was so important to my dad!"

Mito smiles, "You really are Ging's son..."

The two are shown leaving the cottage. Gon turns to Mito, "I promise I'll pass the exam. I'll pass the exam, and I'll become a Hunter!"

Mito nods, "Just promise that you'll come back safe.Can you do that?" She hold her pinky out.

Gon nods, "Uh-huh, I promise!" He connects his own pinky with Mito's.

They both chant, "Pinky swear made...Whoever breaks their promise has to swallow a thousand needles. Sealed with a kiss!"

Gon draws out the last word as they press their thumbs together. Mito drags him into a hug. Gon then rushes off. He is shown waving to everyone as his ship sets sail. He yells out, "I'm going to become the best Hunter in the world! Once I'm the best Hunter in the world, I'll come back!"

Gon sighs, "Well, I wasn't really the best Hunter when you came to visit with me, Killua, was I?"

"Huh?!" Killua responds, "You don't need to be the best Hunter! You're already good enough as who you are!"

Gon blinks before hugging Killua, "I think Killua is just as good too!"

 Killua blushes and tries to push Gon off, grumbling about how embarrassing he is. 

Kurapika and Leorio simply watch from afar and smile to themselves. 

"The best Hunter in the world? Kid doesn't respect us." Other Hunter examinees appear on screen.

"Every year, there are millions of skilled applicants for the Hunter Exam. But only a handful are selected." Leorio appears on screen, reading a pervy magazine.

Kurapika holds back a sigh while Killua shoots a look at Leorio. Gon doesn't react.

Kurapika is then displayed staring at the ocean whilst the other man continues, "Don't say stuff that you can't back up, boy." The group of men then laugh as Gon ignores them and walks forwards.