Chapter 18

The airport was bustling with traffic on a Friday night, arrivals and departures alike. Dennis and I were both in our Homecoming attire, him wearing a black tux and me in a backless, royal blue satin dress. It was a last-minute choice but ever the gentleman, Dennis still flattered me on how the blue complimented my eyes and brought assorted peonies to my doorstep.

"Thanks," said Kayley gratefully as Dennis pulled her suitcase out of the back of his car. "Oh my God, I'm so nervous."

"So... you've never met your dad before?" Dennis asked, looking puzzled as he slammed the trunk shut. "You didn't even stalk his Facebook?"

She shook her head.

Less than twenty-four hours after finding out about her father, Kayley was boarding a flight to San Francisco. She had dropped by my house to say goodbye and when Dennis arrived to pick me up for Homecoming, he insisted on driving her to the airport. Since there was no point in watching Marshall Grammar lose the football game, we decided to only go to the dance.

From what Kayley had told me, her biological father did computer engineering at a software company and met her mother in San Francisco nineteen years ago. Back then, he was fresh from a divorce and had a young son, who was Kayley's half-brother.

I couldn't help but feel excited for her, knowing that she wanted nothing else more in the world than to have a proper family. She had the opportunity four years ago when Elena became pregnant with a little girl but her choice was abortion and it broke Kayley's heart.

"You should get going," I reminded her. "It might take a while to go through security."

As if on cue, a car beeped from behind us and the driver, an angry middle-aged woman, prodded her finger at the sign that said drop-off area – 10 minutes.

"Jesus Christ, Karen." Dennis muttered, shaking his head. "Well, have a safe trip."

"Thanks," Kayley replied giddily. "Have fun at Homecoming."

As Dennis got back into the car, I gave her a quick, one-armed hug. "Keep me updated on everything." I told her, giving her a light shove. "Call me when you land."

"I think I'm going to pass out." Kayley propped up the handle of her suitcase and took a deep breath before starting to lug it towards the terminal. "See you guys in a few days!"

"You'll be fine," I called. "Have a safe flight!"

She waved and I ducked back into the car, carefully gathering my dress. As Dennis maneuvered out of the tight parking spot, I craned my neck to see where Kayley had gone but she was quickly swallowed by the crowd.

"You guys are really close," Dennis observed when we entered the freeway. "How long have you known each other?"

"About thirteen years," I replied and smiled. "We met in kindergarten, actually. She refused to go inside after Connor Stanley pulled her hair during recess and that's where I found her."

Dennis grinned. "Sounds like a good story."

-

"This is the first time I've ever brought a date to Homecoming."

"Really?"

Dennis just grinned. "I've had two girlfriends in total - the first was with me to get to Reid and the second moved to the West Coast. Homecoming just never came up."

"Well, I'm honoured, in that case." I said with a laugh, adjusting the straps of my dress. "Hang on - seriously? Do they really do that? Date you to get to Reid?"

"You'd be surprised."

"And what about the other ex?" I gave him a teasing, meaningful look to which he responded with a quick shake of the head. "The one who got away?"