seventeen

A/N: Just a reminder that while this fic takes place in the original universe, the events may not necessarily line up with Niall's current promo and schedule! Enjoy this little holiday chapter :)

Starting over may have been exactly what Niall and Kelsey needed, but that didn't mean that suddenly all of their problems were solved. Past transgressions didn't magically disappear and thoughts that Niall might be keeping secrets from her still lingered in Kelsey's mind.

She had tried her best to move past it. Treating this as a fresh new relationship, instead of a salvaged one. She was enjoying her time with Niall. Getting to know him this time instead of letting their overwhelming attraction take control. But her history of betrayal still ran deep under the surface, seeping into her mind whenever her confidence wavered.

Niall noticed it too. The way that Kelsey would suddenly grow distant at the mention of past relationships. Or the face of terror that grew across her face when Niall mentioned his parents, and Kelsey meeting them. For Niall, there wasn't a question in his mind that Kelsey was someone special to him. And if he had his way, she was going to be a part of his life for a very long time. But after the fiasco with Krystal, he couldn't help but notice that any progress that they had seemed to make with Kelsey opening up had disappeared. Her guard was up, and Niall wasn't sure what, if anything, he could do to lower it back down again. 

Which is why Niall didn't ask questions when Kelsey told him that she was planning on staying in LA for Christmas. He knew her mother's affair had something to do with it, but the details of what all had transpired and the way it had affected Kelsey were still mostly unknown. So he didn't bring it up, instead suggesting they have a small Christmas gathering at his house.

Niall didn't realize how much Kelsey loved Christmas until she arrived at his place on Christmas Eve with a trunk full of decorations, baking ingredients, Christmas movies and gifts. Likewise, Kelsey didn't realize how overboard she had went with burying her feelings of not being home for Christmas until she'd loaded her trunk with all the things she'd thought necessary for her and Niall to have the perfect holiday celebration.

"So what do we have here?" Niall asked after setting the last box from Kelsey's very own 'sleigh' onto his dining room table.

"Oooh," Kelsey squealed in excitement grabbing a green wrapped box with a bright red bow on top. "This is an important item for tonight's festivities." She shoved it into Niall's hands as he laughed.

"Should I stick it under my tree?" he asked, gesturing to the neatly decorated pine in the corner of his living room. That too, had been Kelsey's doing, as Niall had never stayed in Los Angeles over the holidays before, and had never had one. 

Although Niall had insisted that his plans to not go home for the holidays had nothing to do with Kelsey and everything to do with the fact that he didn't want to travel more after being on the road with Jingle Ball over the past few weeks, Kelsey was still sure that she played at least somewhat of a role. Although she wasn't ready to admit it out loud, she was thankful that she had someone to spend the holidays with to keep her mind off of all the family traditions that wouldn't be taking place this year.

"No, no, you need this now," Kelsey gestured at Niall, as he began to rip the neatly wrapped paper.

She watched as his lips turn into a smile when he sees the obnoxious red and green Christmas sweater with Santa holding a pint of Guinness printed on the front. "I love it, but where's your ugly Christmas sweater?" he asked.

"Right over here," Kelsey said, reaching into another bag and pulling out an equally obnoxious Christmas colored sweater.

"That's more like it!" Niall exclaimed with a wink that sent Kelsey's heart pounding.