28. Sundown

Every vampire in Volterra watched the sunrise on Tuesday morning. Upon the rooftops they stood, their eyes fixed to the brightening sky as they anxiously anticipated the inevitable. And when the golden light at last broke over the horizon, the final countdown began. They had less than fourteen hours before the full moon rose. Time was quickly running out.

Of course, the Volturi were not the only ones preparing for the full moon. Within their cozy little shop, the three sisters, Lizzel, Patrizia, and Elmina, were getting ready as well. As soon as dawn broke, the younger sisters went into the altar room to pray to Hekate, their patron goddess. After lighting two candles and burning a stick of lavender incense, the two knelt before the polished stone shrine and lowered their heads in reverence.

Meanwhile, Lizzel was making her way into the next room, where Santiago lay. He'd been in the sisters' care for two days, and still the paralysis had yet to wear off. If not for his slowly healing wounds, Lizzel might have believed him to be dead.

"Such strength," she mused as she swept her fingers against his bare chest and traced around his scars, but she was careful to avoid the silver crucifix which hung from his neck. Just looking at it made her skin burn.

She scoffed. "Such a waste."

Just as she was about to leave, Santiago's hand suddenly shot up and ensnared Lizzel's wrist, forcing a quiet gasp from the woman's lips.

Santiago's red eyes snapped open and narrowed into a fierce glare. "What is the day, witch?" he hissed.

"Tuesday," she answered before tearing her hand free. "And this witch saved your life. You know, I'd expect better manners from a priest. Where's your gratitude?"

"I did not ask to be healed by your pagan magic."

"Well your god certainly wasn't helping, was he? Tell me, does he even acknowledge the eternally damned?"

His silence made her smile. "I didn't think so."

Santiago sighed and reluctantly muttered, "Thank you for saving my life."

"What were you thinking anyway?" asked Lizzel. "Only a fool would seek out a wolf so close to the full moon."

"I was trying to save an innocent," he replied. "Most of all, I suppose I was trying to redeem myself."

"Well, it's too late for redemption, Santiago. They're coming tonight."

"I know, which is why I must go now."

Much to Lizzel's dismay, he took back his ripped shirt and coat and threw them on. The smell of the beast clung to the black fabric, serving as a constant reminder of Saturday night's events—and a warning of what was to come.

When Santiago attempted to leave, his path was obstructed by the three sisters, who'd gathered to see him off and wish him well. Patrizia came forward first, and in her hand she carried a small leather pouch.

"Monkshood," she said as she gave it to him, "also known as wolf's bane, for protection."

Next was Elmina, and she too brought a small pouch: "Adder's tongue, for healing." Before rejoining her sisters, the young woman rose up on the tips of her toes and placed a gentle kiss on Santiago's cheek. When she pulled back, her grey eyes were glistening with fresh tears.

Finally, Lizzel stepped forward, and with her, she brought a third leather pouch.

"Wood rose," she said, "for luck. You'll certainly need it. When mixed together, they will slow the poison, but they are not a cure. Wolves are most toxic during the full moon, as you know. A single bite or scratch could kill you in less than an hour. Take great caution. Avoid them if you can."