24.

It's a new session again and senior year is starting for Jason and his colleagues. This time of the year is when the senior students gets serious with their academics against getting into college.  Even the unserious ones were ready to become serious for the year.

"I can't find my pink sneakers," Pixie whined as she brought out her suitcase from the car.

"So?" Jason questioned. "Please, don't waste my precious time," He snapped at her.

Ever since Diane left, Jason had been grouchy. He complained about any single mistake and gets annoyed easily. He felt very hurt and therefore had been lashing out on everyone.

"Take it easy dude." That was Tyler. He has been trying to get Jason's mind off Diane but it wasn't working.

Pixie sniffed. "I wish Diane was here."

"Hi guys."

They all turned around, and there was Diane gleaming with smile, Pixie screamed happily and ran past the guys to Diane, she held her in a tight hug.

"I missed you so much," Pixie squealed.

"Alright baby girl, I'm here now. Can you please let me breath," Diane said. Pixie broke the hug.

"You came back," Tyler said with a smile forming in his face.

"I couldn't stand staying away from you guys." Diane smiled and turned to Jason who was just standing there with mixed expression. He was annoyed, shocked, half elated, hurt, he missed her but the annoyance dominated over the other expressions. He was staring sturdily at her.

"Jason has been so grouchy," Pixie whined.

Jason broke the eye contact and carried his suitcase. "I'll see you guys later." And he left.

Diane wasn't surprised though she was hurt, she brushed off the feeling with a fake smile and turned to Pixie and Tyler who were puzzled with Jason's reaction.

"Let's settle in guys," she said to them with the fake smile plastered on her face. "Come on Pixie, let's go." She dragged Pixie along with, bidding Tyler goodbye.

***

The hallway was crowded with students, each of them at their locker, some were discarding some stuffs while some were arranging their things accordingly into their locker.

Diane opened her locker and an envelope dropped. The Carleton college logo that was inscribed at the front of the envelope made it easy for her to notify where it came from. She tore the envelope open and read the letter she saw in it. She's been offered an application for scholarship in the school. She wasn't surprised, she knew one of the colleges was going to offer her a scholarship due to her outstanding performances.

She saw another letter in her locker, this one was from the school. The school has arranged study sessions for the student that was offered the application for scholarship alongside a special tutor to get them prepared.

Diane closed her locker and head out of the hall. Now, she was standing in front of an office, she knocked on the door and exhaled heavily before pushing the door open after a voice from inside told her to enter. She walked in closing the door behind her.

"Hello Miss Goldilock?" She said more like a question.

The lady stopped what she was doing and dropped her pen before looking up at Diane. She smiled when her vision came to rest on Diane.

"You must be Diane Morgan," she said. Diane nodded. "Sit."

Diane obeyed.

"So you're the school's best student, uhn?" Miss Goldilock said.

"I guess so," Diane replied.

Miss Goldilock relaxed on her chair. "Let's see how good you are then."

Diane was taken back with her statement. Miss Goldilock asked her some questions which she answered correctly. Questions later turned into conversation, which made Diane realise that Jason and Tyler were also given the scholarship application to Carleton College even Rosabelle too.

Why would Rosabelle be given the scholarship also?

Her parents are super rich and they own the school, so why?

Was she trying to show off?