18. Romeo and Juliet

Start from the beginning

Olivia makes an agreeing noise as she plays with the feathers of my wings.

"Aw, you guys are making me blush."

I smile at both of my friends lovingly.

Olivia looks divine tonight as Queen Titiana. She's dressed all in gold. A tight-fitting dress hugs her curvy figure, a tiny pair of lace wings are stuck to her back, and a crown fit only for a fairy queen sits atop her head.

Lucy is beside her, a scary sort of beautiful. With her dark curls, black velvet gown, and blood-soaked face and hands, she makes a captivating Lady Macbeth.

"Like it's hard." Lucy jokes.

The three of us are stood at the back of a queue of students. We're all waiting to get inside the gymnasium where the formal is already underway.

We're slightly late as Lucy can never be on time for anything.

I search the queue for one face in particular. Unable to find it, I tune back into the conversation.

"Oh, look... It's The Three Bitches from Macbeth."

"Lucy," Olivia says through gritted teeth. "They heard you."

"And?"

When we finally get inside the building, I'm delighted to see the décor looks as good as I hoped it would.

The gymnasium has been split into four rooms, using makeshift walls, with each room taking on a different theme that somehow relates to one of Shakespeare's plays.

The most popular one mimics a graveyard.

"Nice of you to finally show." Charlotte Pemberton snipes, appearing at my side.

Adorned in gold, she looks like a goddess. Or rather the last queen of Egypt.

She glances behind me.

"Where art Romeo?"

I make an amused noise. "Not a clue. But do let me know if you find him."

"Finders keepers." She smiles gleefully, before strolling away.

Lucy, Liv, and I, spend most of the night dancing and fooling around with girls from the drama club and the boys from the football team.

When conversation dries up a little for me, I decide to explore the rest of the rooms.

My favourite proves to be the enchanted forest.

Synthetic vines entwined with purple fairy lights line the walls, black and bloodied leaves cover the floor, and silver stars dangle from the ceiling.

I spot Jack Adams near a table of food, chatting to some teachers. He's dressed in a flattering shade of green and has black horns stuck to his forehead. He catches my eye and waves excitedly.

I wave back with just as much enthusiasm.

"What's the deal with you and him?"

A voice sounds close to me.

I turn my head and find Dallas Jackson leaning against a wall.

He's dressed all in black and holding a skull.

"Jack?" I frown.

"Yeah. Is there something between you two?"

"No. We're just friends." I laugh. "Jack's gay. I thought that was common knowledge."

Dallas raises his eyebrows in momentary surprise. "Ah."

I stand there a little awkwardly after that, wondering why Dallas Jackson is suddenly interested in my love life.

"So, um, where's your friend River tonight?"

I try my best to feign casual interest.

A smirk appears on Dallas' lips.

"He's taking care of something. I can call him for you if you like, but he'd probably be pretty pissed to be interrupted. Though he might sweeten if he hears your voice."

I can tell Dallas loves winding people up just as much as River. No wonder they get along so well.

"No," I rush. "You don't need to do that."

"Because you already have his number, right?" Dallas responds, his smirk growing wider, before walking away.

I decide to go talk to Jack for a little while, wanting to distract myself from the disappointment building in my chest at the thought of not seeing River tonight.

~

An hour later, I leave the enchanted forest.

I'm wandering alone through the dark spot that sits between this room and the next, when the hairs on my arms suddenly stand on end and I get the feeling I'm being watched.

Feeling spooked, I decide to speed up.

I'm almost at the entrance to the next room, when I'm pulled backwards and pushed against the nearest wall.

I'm about to scream when a hand clamps down over my mouth.

"Hush." River's deep voice murmurs. "It's me."

When my eyes finally adjust to the dark, seeing him does nothing to calm my racing heart.

He's wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt of which all the buttons are undone, revealing his tanned skin as well as his well-defined chest and abdominal muscles. His silver cross and green eyes are both glittering dangerously in the dark.

River slowly removes the hand from my mouth. I watch as his gaze flickers from my wide eyes, to my lips, to my heaving chest.

I'm glad the darkness is shielding how pink my cheeks have turned.

"Hey." He whispers, smirking. "Sorry to scare you."

"You didn't scare me," I whisper back, though we're the only ones here.

"I'll have to try harder next time then."

He's here. River Kavinsky is here. Pressed against me in the dark. Dressed as the Romeo to my Juliet.

I bite the inside of my lip.

"Maybe try being on time next time." I tease a little. "This thing's almost over."

He laughs quietly. "Ordering me around after just one kiss?"

"God knows someone needs to try and control you."

He takes a step back as a girl comes stumbling through the entrance. Only when she's gone does he reply, "And God knows no one ever will," with a confident smile.

River leans back against the wall, watching me.

"You look divine, by the way."

"Thank you," I say, trying to ignore the butterflies in my stomach. "You don't look too bad yourself. Except for that blood on your collar. Busy night?"

River sighs. "You could say that."

"Want to talk about it?"

"Nah. I don't mix business with pleasure, Angel."

"Noted." I reply softly.

River brings his tanned arm up and looks down at his watch. He presses a button and the face of it lights up. His eyes flicker up to mine.

"So, now that I've kept you distracted long enough for my boys out there to spike the punch and dish it out, I'll let you get back to enjoying your night."

I stare at him blankly for a second. Then I'm shaking my head and turning away.

"Or," he continues, gently taking hold of my arm and turning me back to him, "you can come with me to Dallas' small afterparty and let me earn your forgiveness."

"You're unbelievable," I tell him, before pulling myself out of his grasp and finally making it out of the darkness.

Yet a short while later, as Lucy and Liv are en route to the local clubs with most of our year group, I find myself climbing into a black Ferrari.