24. Delicate

RIVER

I unbuckle Ana's seatbelt and carefully slide a hand underneath her knees. I use my free hand to brace her back, then lift her up into my arms.

Ana groans a little; I gently shush her.

I kick the car door closed with a snap and walk towards The Jackson's House. My home for a long time now.

A small face appears at one of the windows upstairs. My sister's here.

A smile appears on my lips.

I nod to the front door and Dove gives me a thumbs up before disappearing. A minute later, the front door swings open.

Dove's wearing an oversized hoodie and grey pyjama pants. Her dark hair, the exact same colour as mine, is scraped back into a ponytail.

"Hey!" Dove whispers, glancing between Ana and I.

"Hey," I whisper back. "Staying the night?"

If I wasn't holding Ana, I would have pulled her into a hug.

"Of course. It's Dallas' birthday tomorrow. I'm not going to miss that."

I step inside and Dove closes the door after me.

"He'll be happy to see you. It's been a while."

As we climb the stairs, and Ana starts to stir slightly. I look down at her soft face and say, "Dove, I think it's better if she sleeps in your room tonight. But I'll stay a while. Make sure she's Ok."

Dove doesn't hesitate, "Fine with me."

A few seconds of silence pass before my sister opens her mouth again. Nothing new there.

"So this is the girl who has you wrapped round her little finger?"

"Who told you that?" I ask as I nudge the door open to Dove's bedroom.

Dove lives with Dad pretty much all of the time. But Dallas has a room kitted out for her here in case she ever wants to leave.

I wish she would. That way I could look out for her more. And be the one that opens the door to any guys that want to take her out.

"Dallas," Dove replies, hopping onto her bed and folding her legs beneath her.

"Could have guessed."

I gentle set Ana down onto the small day bed near a window, and make sure she's lying on her side- just in case.

"So, is it true?" Dove presses. "Big bad River has fallen for Thornhill's head girl."

I shift a strand of blonde hair out of Ana's eyes.

What does it look like?

I stroll wordlessly out of the room, and jog down the stairs.

I head into the Jackson's kitchen and surprise flits across my features.

Mrs Jackson has Talon sitting on the marble countertop, seemingly stitching up a nasty gash on his forehead.

Mrs Jackson glances at me as I walk over. "Hello, River. Have you heard from Dallas?"