15. Grafitti

"I want blood, and lots of it

"I want blood, and lots of it. Buy it by the litre."

We all turn to stare at Charlotte Pemberton.

She rolls her brown eyes.

"Fake blood, obviously."

I'm currently in a prefects meeting, helping plan Thornhill's Halloween formal.

There's only four of us, and we're all sat on the floor of the gymnasium- a shadowy, sombre building that's detached from the rest of school. The perfect venue for a Halloween party.

"We also need a theme," Charlotte proclaims.

It's a Thornhill tradition to always have a themed Halloween formal. Last year's theme was Freak Show.

Olivia, Lucy and I went as fortune tellers, with each of us having different coloured head scarves and crystal balls.

Charlotte was the centre of attention, of course, dressed as a ring master, complete with a black leather whip.

She was glued to a clang of evil clowns for most of the night.

One of them was most likely River, but I cant say for sure. River and his gang, if they decide to turn up, always sport masked costumes. Probably so the teacher's can't pinpoint who's last seen next to the bowl of punch before it gets spiked.

"What about Angels and Demons?" Charlotte suggests.

It's not a bad idea.

"The teachers want the theme to be educational from now on," Jack Adams replies.

"Well, we could change the name to Paradise Lost," I put forward. "Based on the epic poem by John Milton."

"Yes, do that."

"OK," Jack nods. "Any other suggestions?"

We glance around the room as if there's more than just us here.

"Um," Peter Burton starts, "what about Spooky Shakespeare?"

Jack looks excited. "That's good. Shakespeare's all over the syllabus. The teacher's would love it."

Charlotte groans. "Who cares what the teacher's think?"

"We are prefects, Charlotte," I point out, "we have to set an example."

"No, we're prefects" she retorts, "you're headgirl."

I hear her add "unfortunately" under her breath.

I decide not to acknowledge it.

"I think Spooky Shakespeare is a solid idea," I state. "Well done, Peter."

Jack smiles at Charlotte. "Three against one, Charlotte. Sorry."

She scowls at him, but makes no protest.

Peter checks his watch. "It's getting late. Why don't we decide on decor and food next time?"

"Good idea," I reply, realising it's getting dark outside.

We all start gathering our things.

"I'm definitely going as King Oberon," Jack delights, putting on a scarf and some gloves. "Glitter, wings, a crown. I can't wait."

Charlotte flips her shiny, brown hair over her shoulders. "I guess I could go as Desdemona. The perfect woman. '

Jack and I share a look.

"Or Cleopatra, perhaps," she adds, thoughtfully.

I start thinking of who I'm going to be.

I love the 1996 film version of Romeo and Juliet. Maybe I could go as Juliet.

"Are you coming, Ana?" Jack calls across the gymnasium, holding the door open.

Charlotte and Peter have already left.

"No, you go ahead, Jack. I'm just going to go over my notes- make sure I've got everything down."

"I can wait for you," he offers.

"It's fine, honestly," I smile. "I've kept you here long enough."

"You know I never mind," Jack laughs, before waving, "anyways, have a good night!

"You too, Jack!"

And with the sound of the door snapping shut, I'm alone.

I probably spend another twenty minutes drawing up our plans for the formal so far, before packing up and exiting the gymnasium.

The sun has almost set across Thornhill's grounds, the air is frosty, and it's deathly silent.

I insert my earphones into my ears, and tuck my phone safely away into my coat pocket. I head back towards the main building, listing to my 'fall playlist' .

I round a sharp corner, and utter a tiny scream. I'm suddenly face to face with a group of hooded guys. A few of them are holding cans of spray paint. I glance behind them at the wall.

They've grafitied Nightshade Boys across it.

"What are you looking at?" One of them calls, taking down his hood to reveal tousled, blonde hair.

I note he's one of Rivers friends. In fact, they all are. I quickly search for River's face, and feel a surge of panic when I realise he's not here.

"Nothing" I reply, slowly. "Just some wannabe gangsters doing their best to look tough, right?"

I continue walking, with all intentions of calling the police once I'm out of sight.

"Wait. Isn't she Head Girl?"

The blonde guy appears in front of me.

"Pretty and intelligent, huh," he smirks. "I'm sure you'll be missed."

I take a scared step back.

"Leave her alone, Talon," I hear someone say behind me, "unless you want to be skinned alive."

I turn around and see Dallas Jackson strolling towards us, wearing an amused expression.

He stops in between us.

Talon frowns. "What do you mean?"

"River's took a shine to her," he smirks.

"Ah."

Talon looks me up and down, before retreating.

Dallas turns to face me.

"Sorry about that, Ana," he grins, "some of my brothers still haven't learnt any manners."

I wrap my arms around my body. "I can tell."

"Now," Dallas takes a step closer to me, "you didn't see anything of interest tonight, did you, Ana? You have no idea who did that graffiti."

I shake my head.

"I need you to say it out loud."

"I didn't see anything."

Dallas pauses, before stepping back and indicating for me to leave. "That's a good girl."

I dash away as quickly as I can, knowing that won't be the end of anything.