πέντε (five)

Nothing could beat their heartbeats as they hammered against their ears that very minute.
His eyes were on hers, and the realization that she indeed existed was slowly dawning onto his mind. His heartbeat and the warmth in his chest were untouchable-- but they were as vivid as daylight. 

The girl he had never thought he was able to touch, the girl whose existence he concluded to be a myth or a figment of his imagination. Until now.

The little angel could never know how the boy had always wondered about her. Even when his father scolded him repetitiously for always daydreaming during the day, he cannot deflect his thoughts from the image of her standing underneath the beaming sun. And watching the daydream came to life was much more beautiful than he could imagine.

A rough blow of wind ripped the peacefulness away, and the angel knew her time had come.
"What's going on?" the boy grasped her hand tightly, and she did the same in return. She was trembling as death was coming in the furious howls of wind. But what would happen to the boy before her?
The little angel abruptly released his hold, terrified for his well-being, "I... I need to go."
"What?"

The angel had written enough goodbyes on Earth as her inspiration throughout the years. She had seen and heard of the words enough to wonder about the pain wrapped in between its seams.
But she never thought she would be delivering one in her lifetime. She never thought she would knew exactly how it felt.

"You will be alright. " 

She took him in her embrace as she tried to cling onto the ethereal reality she was in. Her attempt was proven to be futile though when she heard the sky cracked open with the thunder's violent roars.

The boy's desperate pleads for her to stay corrupted her ears, but it was not long before she heard a voice louder than his. The sky pierced open into two before the little angel left all her hopes of being forgiven behind with the boy and her life.

"Little angel, you are dismissed."  The voice was firm, though it was not a shout at all. Yet, it was enough to cause their knees to tremble in fear.

A sudden force sharply tugged her wings backwards, tearing her scar open. She cried out in pain, feeling the warm liquid trickle down her back. The boy's voice was starting to blur, and the little angel was soon pulled out of her consciousness.

↞↠

"Why?" one of the higher-ranked angels cried. She couldn't give attention to their questions, though. The pain from her wounded wings was enough to mute her in the middle of the chaos.

"-you do it? It's against-"

She was beginning to think she would actually suffer death as humans do.

Is death always this torturous?

The little angel had never known such pain, and she never expected the darkness that followed along. The feeling of loneliness sitting at the pit of her stomach felt bottomless, and the inability to shed tears to express her pain-- oh, they were hurting her more than the pain from her wings.

"Apologies..." she croaked in her last attempt to speak a word while clinging hopelessly onto the remaining drips of consciousness.

➶➶

The little angel's lids fluttered open. Cool breeze caressed her cheeks. The growing loneliness within her hadn't faltered away, but the pain from her wings had subdued. 

Where am I?

She looked around, determined to search for answers, a clue of what had happened to her. She wanted to stand up, but her every attempt failed miserably. Then she tried again. And again. Upon the fourth trial, she realized what had fallen upon her.

The little angel  was sitting underneath the giant oak tree. But this time, she was bound to stay. Her greyish skin and the difficulty to move her body clearly were enough clues to announce what her punishment was. The little angel sat still, her eyes rested onto the deserted road ahead of her. 

Her wish had been granted.
All she ever wanted was to stay where he was, underneath the giant oak tree.

Yet the boy was immediately sent away from the city by his father after what had occurred. His memories had been taken away from him as the sky cracked and took the little angel from him. He was found later that day, somewhere not far from the giant oak tree, lying unconscious before being delivered to his worried family.

Some memories can never be replaced permanently though, and they were still carved at the back of our minds.

During the holidays when he came back home from his job at a nearby town, the boy never missed the chance to have a walk around the forest near his childhood home. Every time the boy passed by the angel statue though, he would never forget how a gust of wind blew away his grief one particular afternoon. It evoked a feeling in his chest whenever his eyes met the empty, greyish ones, though he could never put a finger to the cause of that peculiar feeling. Those stony eyes felt awfully familiar to him, but he could never recall why. He would stand for a minute or two, until he sighed, leaving the place behind when he couldn't gave a reason why he felt greatly connected to the place. It was like forgetting the place you always came to play at after school was over. The boy was left with nothing but a blank memory.

The little angel soon realized that her actual punishment wasn't her greyish skin nor her inability to move. Their conversation, their reunion-- they never happened to him at all. 

She was the only one who remembered. To him, she was just a mere statue underneath an oak tree when to her, he was the sole reason why she would ever gave her life for.

Author's notes:

The picture is taken from Pinterest.
Her pose and her gaze quickly got me (it really fits well with little angel's story, don't you think?)

By the way, we're one part away from the end of this book. What do you think of it so far?😃

-much lovee always, Cts💛 (i feel like I'm always singing the much love part haha, sorry!)