Chapter Fifteen

“So what’s New York like?” Calum asked, plopping down on the couch in their dressing room. 

I had found myself a comfortable spot on the couch opposite of Calum, in between Ashton and Luke.  Just sitting beside Luke was enough to make my heart jump out of my chest.

“It’s actually really nice,” I grinned.  “I get to work with all these really cool people.” I looked up, making sure I wasn’t boring anyone, but they all seemed interested.  “Oh!  I got to meet Brendon Urie from Panic At The Disco and his wife who is so gorgeous.” I gushed.  “And I made a few work friends who have made it their job to show me the ways of the city.  Especially Jamie, he’s my partner, I think you guys would like him.”

“Your partner?” Luke questioned from beside me, shifting in his seat to look at me.

“Yeah, he works with me on designs for all kinds of things,” I nodded looking up at Luke, who was looking down at me with an unreadable expression.  “Where’s Emily?”  The second the words slipped from my mouth, the energy in the room shifted. 

Luke looked away from me and down at the floor, shrugging his shoulders. 

“She left” Ashton mumbled from the other side of me.  “The last concert you came to was the last time she was here.  Hasn’t been back since.”

I turned my gaze to him, giving him a questioning look.  He simply nodded, knowing exactly what I was thinking. 

(Luke’s POV)

Of course she would ask about Emily.  Of all the things she’s missed in the month she’s missed, that’s the first thing that pops into her head.  Luckily for me, Ashton was willing to answer. 

Since the day Sydney left, I’ve been off.  It’s obvious to everyone, especially the three guys sitting around me.  I don’t sleep as much as I used to.  I don’t talk to anyone anymore unless I have to.  The fans think I’m exhausted from all the touring and I’m glad that’s what they believe.  The truth is a lot harder to comprehend.  My own mother called me to make sure I was okay after seeing my picture on TV with the caption “What’s really going on with Luke Hemmings?” 

It’s no surprise that the boys basically forced me to tell them what was bothering me after the day Emily went storming out of the dressing room while shouting about how fucked up I was. 

I decided there was no point to keeping secrets from them any longer.  I told them everything from me professing my feelings to Sydney, to kissing her, to admitting how much I missed her, everything.

After that, I tried everything possible to get her off of my mind.  Nothing works.  I’ve written at least five songs about her in this past month alone.  I’ve had more alcohol this month than I thought I ever would and even drunk the one thing that runs through my mind is Sydney. It’s always Sydney. 

I tried calling her a million times.  I texted, tweeted, everything.  She never responded so I just gave up and assumed that she’s done with me and my shit, which I didn’t blame her for.

“I’m sorry..” I heard Sydney whisper from beside me, looking up at me with a sympathetic expression.

“It’s not your fault,” I mumbled.  Her eyebrows furrowed together as she nodded, looking away from me once again.  Well fuck, that was the biggest lie and she knew it. 

“So by the looks of things outside, the superstardom keeps growing,” Sydney said, trying to change the subject. 

“Yeah, it’s incredible.  Our fans are some of the most amazing people on the planet and they just keep growing,” Michael said with a smile plastered on his face.

“I’m not sure why though, we’re still losers from Sydney,” Calum chuckled.

“It’s because you guys were meant to be doing this, you always have been,” Sydney smiled warmly.  “I swear, every single time I see you guys play, you only get better.  Oh!  Remember the first time I saw you in concert?  Luke cried because twelve people showed up,” she giggled while nudging my side.

“I did not cry.”  I didn’t.  I was sweaty.  It was sweat.

“Oh please, Luke, you were crying,” Calum scoffed.

 “I hate this band,” I mumbled, causing the rest of them to start laughing.

---------

these next few chapters are going to get me all Lydney crazy and I don't know if I'm ready.