listen | klaus lunettes x shy!reader

Start from the beginning

I shake my head to dismiss my ludicrous thoughts, paying more attention to the song I'm playing. It's a piece my mother always used to play before she got sick. She'd effortlessly play the song by memory while I watched with amazement. Over time, I learned the song as well. Being that I'd heard it so much, I picked up on it rather quickly. A smile graces my features as I play the final notes.

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Nearly leaping out of my seat, I spin around to see Klaus wearing a small smirk on his face. I place my hands over my face to hide my embarrassment.

"Why are hiding? That was amazing. Well done, (Y/n)." The tone of his voice is surprisingly soft.

I peek out from behind the shelter of my hands, "Really?"

He nods and walks closer to the piano until he's right in front of me. I turn away to hide the blush on my face, focusing my gaze elsewhere. Klaus crosses his arms and looks down at me with concern in his eyes.

"You're really talented. How come I've never heard you play before?"

I shrug meekly, looking at my reflection through the polished instrument. "Too shy."

He lets out a sigh and readjusts his glasses, "Still stuck in your shell, huh? I can't say I'm surprised."

It's my turn to sigh as I hang my head down in shame. I really do try to express myself to others, but something within me won't allow it. There have been countless times I've wanted to share my opinion on a mission, only to end up choking on my own words. I'm sick of it...but it's just the way I am.

"Sorry," I whisper with no intention to be heard.

To my surprise, Klaus lays a hand atop my head and ruffles my hair. I look up at him with a puzzled expression.

"You may be shy, but that doesn't make you any less capable. I've come to realize this over time," he explains, "You're an amazing Magic Knight...and I apologize for misjudging you."

My face beams with pride, "You mean it?"

Before he could reply, I'm jolted awake by a hand nudging my shoulder. I groan in exasperation as a blinding light immerses me. I rub my eyes and blink a couple of times to clear my vision. In front of me, Mimosa Vermillion stands.

"Wakey, wakey, sleepyhead," she smiles, "You fell asleep at the piano again."

Oh, right. My mom's song is a lullaby, so of course, it put me to sleep. This isn't the first time I've encountered this issue.

"Sorry."

"No worries. You've only been asleep for..." she looks at the clock, "about two hours."

I nod and stand up from the piano stool.

It was all just a dream then. Why am I like this?

"(Y/n)? Are you listening?"

"Huh?" I snap out of my trance.

Mimosa politely repeats herself, "I said Klaus wanted me to retrieve you. He says it's important."

Klaus? He's the last person I want to see right now...

"Oh, okay," I mutter, "Where is he?"

She tells me he's waiting outside in the garden, so I follow her instructions. Once I'm outside, I see him standing with his arms crossed as if he's ready to scold me. I hesitantly send him a wave, to which he ignores.

"Where were you?! Did you forget all about our mission?!" he chides.

I fiddle with the rings on my fingers as I respond, "I did. Sorry."