Humility

Dependency is a claim and should be demonstrated before believed. Even if you cannot think of a better answer, that doesn't mean that the thing you propose is true. 

To say so would be to claim that you know and have eliminated all other possibilities that can be known. 

It all comes back to understanding. The test should be

Can I explain "how" my claim is true? 

Does the claim you are proposing actually provide an understandable solution to the gap? Or does it merely claim to be true due to a gap in our understanding that we need to plug in with something?

"If God didn't create the universe? What did?"

This question is a "god of the gaps" argument, as it grabs any solution without demonstrating how the solution is true. As opposed to, literally anything else that is possible. 

It is easy to take for granted your solution as the best possible answer, but if you do not understand it, it is not an answer at all. 

So the two questions that would naturally follow would be:

"How do you know the universe was created?"

and

"How do you know your God created it?" 

Is it not equally, if not more possible, that energy and matter that created the Big Bang always existed, rather than a sentient being, when we do not understand how a sentient being could create the universe? Why then, should we create the extra step of God, if things can always exist?

Settling on an answer without demonstration is not reasonable or logical. If we did that, science would not exist. We would not learn about bacteria, astronomy, or anything else past the mythological stories that explained away lightning and hurricanes and such. The Bubonic Plague would be God's wrath. 

Oddly enough, whenever we do not understand something there is a god introduced to take credit for it, and whenever we learn the true cause, a god's power shrinks to less and less. Could it be people are just making things up?

Just because we need an answer, doesn't mean we are going to get one. We will have to settle into the uncomfortable truth that like those before us, we may die without knowing all there is to know. But our drive to learn can push us forward so that one day others may know. 

It is better to be truthful and admit you don't know, than to take solace in a convenient lie.