The Plan

Read at your own risk if caste rigidity affects you a lot. But I hope it is not very harmful piece of writing.

AISHA

My mother who I shared an amazing relation with and who I thought would always help me out of any kind of mess, got up and walked towards me. I searched my father's face to see if he was joking or something but I found nothing like that. "We trust you Aisha! If we don't approve of him you know your father!" My mother said with kind eyes staring at my face. I felt my mouth ran dry. I fell into the trap I set up for my parents.

All I could do was nod and walked out of the room. The next day I left for Delhi from my home in Ranchi.

All the way back in flight I thought of the problem I had got myself into. Should I tell my parents that I was lying? No. They would probably go furious and again the trail of arranged marriage would begin and this time they would not stop anything. I face palmed myself in frustration gaining a glare from the old man sitting beside me.

Entering the apartment I share with my best friend Aditi I drop my baggage with dejection. All the way back here I could not get any idea formulated in my mind. Aditi will be back four days later and so I have the whole two bedroom apartment to myself.

Aditi has been my friend since school days in hostel and I practically share everything with her. I always act like the one more reserved and shy out of the two of us and act like I am the wise one but deep down I know she is more mature than me. 

I know she will tell me that I am crazy for lying to my parents about this whole thing and probably scold me to get out of my fantasy world but what's done is done.

Lying dejectedly on my bed suddenly a brilliant idea pops up in my mind. For a second I hesitate but quickly make up my mind that it's the only way out.

I NEED TO GET A FAKE BOYFRIEND.

I feel I am a genius. I have all things planned out.

Step 1: make my parents meet my idle 'boyfriend' according to them.

Step 2: Convince them that we love each other and ready for marriage.

Step 3: After sometime have a HUGE breakup and gain sympathy.

Step 4: Convince them I am 'heartbroken' and Marriage is off topic.

Step 5: I get my free life back!

I am a real genius. Einstein couldn't get past me! I have a huge smile playing on my face and with a pen and a paper I sit on the dining table. With a slice of pizza melting in my mouth I write the qualities my 'boyfriend' need to have in order to get approval by my parents.

After sometime I scan over the points I had written down.

1) Maheshwari( Caste matters here)

2) Vegetarian

3) NO alcohol or smoke or drugs

4) Rich enough- All parents want their daughter to have a comfortable future. I am quite rich myself and so status does matter.

5) Gentleman

6) Funny- Papa is a man full of humor when he is not serious; he needs to fit in his good book.

7) Taller than me – That's my choice. Although it's going to be fake, short guys are not my thing.

Well my list is pretty precise. Rest all traits can be negotiated. Now the question is where to find such a guy. It's Thursday today I can avoid my parents call up till next Sunday that gives me two days. At any cost I have to tell them about my 'boyfriend' soon.