ΠΙΙ

After we finished the meal, Hunter childishly focused on his plate, not giving a second glance to neither me nor his father, there was a knock on the door.

"Come on in, Mel.", the Alpha shouted without standing up and the door opened slowly.

"S-ssorry to ... d-disturb ... A-Alpha", a shacky voice said, when a shy young boy entered tentatively, as if he was afraid.

"This is Mel, the shaman apprentice, I told you about, Mr Winster.", the Alpha explained, pointing at the small figure at the door, who stood clearly shaking in the presence of the Alpha and his son.

"Mel, this is Mr Winster, he will conduct the ritual.", the Alpha said, to the boy who just mumbled his greetings, without looking up.

"You have to excuse his behaviour, he is one of our weakest Omegas ...", the Alpha tried to explain, making the boy, I guessed him fourteen or fifteen, shaking even more.

It seemed as he felt the disappoitment in the Alphas voice. I knew that wolves had this whole "only those able to contribute through strength and agility in hunting to the pack" were considered highly, but it pained my nature to see this innocense of a boy so eaten up by how he his treated.

Before I could answer, the Chief continued: "You will take Mr Winster here to the shamans cabin and show him everything he asks for. Is that clear?", the Alpha demanded. Mel just nodded frantically, feeling that if he would not fulfil his Alpha's wish to the latter, he would cause even more disappointment.

Looking at Hunter, I saw him not even sparing one look at the Omega. Oh Bastet, I had some serious stuff to do here, I thought.

Thanking the Alpha for his hospitality and his wife for the great food, I stood up and approached Mel, who still stood shakingly in the door frame, not daring to step any further, ready to bolt away at any sign of aggression. I put my hand assuringly on his shoulder, letting some of my demonic power radiating through him giving him enough feeling of courage to look up at me surprised.

"Come on, Mel. Let's go.", I said to him softly, knowing very well how fragile the boy was emotionally. I literally felt his inner turmoil, his fear and distress ripping him apart internally.

***

"Sooo", I said to Mel, who strolled beside me, as soon as we were outside, "how  long have you been an apprentice?", interested in how far he was educated and if he could be of any help.

Without looking up, he said still frightened, "Only two years ... ".

"I see", I sighed, knowing quite well that he probably was just assisting and standing by.

"I-I'm s-sorry if I c-couldn-n't b-be of m-more h-help.", he stammered, letting his head sink even furhter in disappointment.

"No, no, it's fine! I just wanted to know what to expect", I tried to assure him in explaining him, smiling.

Before I could say anything else, probably making things even worse, we stopped in front of a cabin, that was in the back of the other houses, standingly excluded from the others.

"T-this is ... it", Mel mumbled, pointing at the old cabin, which outsides were decorated by various dreamcatchers and ornaments. According to my research, the shaman's main job was to provide healing and prayers for hunting through the shaman's link to the Spirit world.

"So tell me, Mel", I said when we entered the dead shaman's hut, "what can you tell me about this ritual?" I could literally feel Mel's nervousity rise inside him.