Love is for Suckas Part I

Mercedes awoke slowly and rubbed her eyes. Where was she? She felt comfortable but also a little lumpy. She opened her eyes and looked around the den. She'd fallen asleep in the den!

She popped up and threw off the afghan covering her. She remembered coming home from the Puckermans' and waiting for Marcy in the den. She must have been waiting a while because she clearly fell asleep.

She stood up and stretched before traveling out to find out what had woken her up. She wondered what time it was when she passed the stairs.

Marcy was coming down. "Hey. You're up."

Mercedes yawned. "You came home?"

"Yeah. It was late and you were sleep so I covered you up and went to bed." Marcy made it to the ground.

"Thanks." Mercedes took her arm. "How was your night?"

"Good. Yours?" They went to the kitchen.

"Fun. Nic is so silly." They took their seats. "Where are the twins?"

"The Changs'. I'm picking them up after breakfast."

"Oh."

"Laura wants to take them to a concert in the park."

"That's gotta be nice. Maybe I'll go with? Oh shoot! I'm working on my car today."

"How are you coming along, Princess?" Marcus asked.

"I'll be done this weekend. It's kind of exciting."

"I wish I could check on your progress but I have business."

"That's okay, Daddy." She was used to it.

"No, I mean it's out of town. I'll be gone all weekend. Including your birthday, Sweetpea."

"But my birthday's on Tuesday." Marcy protested.

"I know. I won't be back until Wednesday."

She pouted.

"But you'll get your present today." Marcus handed over a box.

Marcy took it excitedly. She opened it to reveal a necklace and earring set in diamonds and emeralds. "Thank you, Daddy!"

"You're very welcome."

"I have some news, too." She closed the box and took a deep breath. "Pierre is here."

They all turned to look at her in varying degrees of shock. "What?!"

"He flew in last night. He won't be able to see me on my birthday so a visit is my present."

Mercedes was the first one to regain her senses. "Where's he staying?"

"At the Hilton."

"Wow." Was all that she could come up with.

Marc raised a question. "What are you going to do with him? How long is he here for?"

"He'll leave Monday. We'll just hang out. Sorry, Merce. I can't really leave him by himself."

"I understand." Mercedes was reeling.

"You should invite him to dinner." Rose said.

"I won't be here for dinner. Maybe tomorrow?" Marcy was thinking up escape routes in her head.

"Okay. Maybe tomorrow."

"Do you have to be with him all day?" Mercedes asked. She still had her problem.

"I'm not having dinner with him. We can get together later. Maybe before glee? We can have tea at the house."

"Good." Mercedes breathed out heavily. She cocked her head with a curious frown. "Did any flowers come today?"