thirty-three | quit

Start from the beginning

Sora was beating his opponent for two rounds with his left and right hooks, dodging his opponent's attack as if he saw it coming and I was proud of him. Michael had cheered the loudest out of the three of us, Bianca had a wide smile on her face as she clapped with the crowd and I had only stared at Sora with amazement.

Yes, I'd admit, I was also staring at the upper half of his body.

It was all good until the first half of the last round.

It was as if Sora was beaten to a pulp. It was like he lost the inability to move, and allowed his opponent to throw him down on the ground, abuse him until he couldn't even see. My heart jumped to my throat as I pushed myself through the crowd and ran up to Sam where he was standing beside the ring, smashing his fists on the floor board when Sora was pushed to the corner for a time out.

"What are you doing, Sora?!" Sam screamed are him, grabbing a towel and wiped away the bloody mess that adorned his face.

Sora tilted his head and looked to the side, surprised to find me standing beside Sam. I bit my lip, worried for him as his limp fingers reached out for mine. I quickly intertwined my hand with his and frowned, unable to comprehend what had just happened.

"You can do this," I whispered under my breath, Sora eyeing me intently as he gave me a small, cocky smile.

"I know, sweetheart," he whispered through the loud cheers but I heard him so clearly. "I'm doing this for the better, though. I don't need this in my life, Luce. I'm out for good." And with that said, leaving Sam and I utterly confused, he ripped his hand away from mine and entered the match again only to get beaten down repeatedly.

I couldn't bear to watch him get hurt as I turned my head around and bit my lip to stop myself from crying. I was confused and frustrated but most of all, worried for my boyfriend who was risking his life for something 'better'.

When the fight was over and Sora had declared defeat, the crowd dispersed then Michael, Bianca and I headed towards the locker room where Sam was bandaging Sora up. Sam didn't look bothered at all compared to when I had stood beside him, instead, he looked a bit guilty. 

I was prepared for Michael and Bianca to attack Sora with questions but instead, they didn't and positioned themselves in the separate corners. Sam glanced up at me with a small smile before patting Sora on the back softly before exuding himself, taking Michael and Bianca with him despite their cries to stay. 

"What happened out there?" I asked Sora as I sat beside him, my face etched with worry while my eyes scanned his bruised and bloody face. 

Sora shrugged. "I lost the fight."

"You threw the fight," I pointed out, shaking my head. "There's a difference. Though, I don't know why." 

Sora sighed, taking my hand into his as he kissed my fingers softly. "I didn't want to tell you this because I knew you wouldn't let me do it. But, Juls said that if I threw this fight, I was allowed to go and see my mom."

I bit my lip, a smile itching its way across my lips. "That's great, but why did you have to throw the fight?"

Sora shrugged. "My mother knows what I'm doing because she has connections. She said she would let me visit her if I threw and if I quit underground fighting." 

"I'm so glad you get to see your mom again," I responded softly, squeezing his hand in reassurance. "You miss her, don't you?"

Sora nodded, looking slightly sad. "I do. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner but I didn't want you to talk me out of it because I would've turned down the opportunity."

I shook my head in amusement. "I would've encouraged you drop out, not get beaten to death."

Sora laughed. "I'm sorry, sweetheart."

I chuckled, knowing that the only thing Sora wanted was to see his mom again. I knew that feeling, I had that feeling when I was a child and my father had left me so yes, I understood what Sora felt. 

I was just happy that he was now able to have that chance to see his mom again and I couldn't help but thought about my own father.