Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

Uncle Dorai continued his statements, "For the sake of Frencolia we must decide to go ahead with the betrothal. It's an honor that Kenrik, soon to be crowned the czar of Chezkovia, wants to marry a Frencolian. It will bind our countries together and cement our security."

"Are you sure you feel that way, uncle? Kenrik is quite a few years older..."

"Age is nothing, Son. I'm twelve years older than Minette and we were not encumbered with the difference. Such an age difference can be an advantage. I think we should give Kenrik our answer. His impatience to settle the matter is becoming embarrassing!" Dorai slapped the back of the couch with his hand and stood decisively to his feet. "How could we dare to say no?" He laughed as though at a diabolical joke.

"You're so right, Uncle! We must think of the alliance such a marriage will promote. Chezkovia has never been friendly to Frencolia and this union will make all the difference." Luke stood while still talking, "I am sure Jobyna will understand when we explain. Anyway, it won't be for a couple of years, we'll have plenty of time back in Frencolia together. Minette will want that too, won't she? —I know I will."

Jobyna heard the door open and the men continued to talk as they walked away. She was sure her conclusions from their conversation were wrong and tried to reconstruct their dialogue. Who did Kenrik want to marry? Why did they not want to tell her? Why would she be upset? Surely they would not —they could not— Jobyna dared not think. She pulled herself up and leaned on the crutches, watching the fountains spraying mist high into the air, seeing yet not beholding.

Kenrik's words invaded her thoughts; You can never depend on people, even when you think you know them. Her eyes traveled the palace gardens then she withdrew into the library. Who could she turn to? To whom could she talk? What thoughts did Luke and Uncle Dorai have about Konrad now? Hadn't they been eager for her to be betrothed to him some weeks ago? Not just eager —she thought, they were plain pushy! Is a woman just something to dispose of in the way men folk think convenient?

Jobyna shuddered. She recalled their words: "For the sake of Frencolia," and, "I'm sure Jobyna will understand." Frencolia was more important to them than she was! Of course, Frencolia is more important, she thought, with bitterness. I was bait, too, for Frencolia...

Ellice and Thirza entered the library just as Jobyna was wishing she could escape and flee to Konrad; to anywhere but this palace...

"We're ready for you, Princess..." Thirza stopped the sentence as Jobyna turned away with tears glistening on her cheeks, "Your Highness, what is wrong?" Thirza came closer, "Are you in pain?"

Shaking her head, Jobyna swayed and the concerned pair tried to help her to the couch. "I'll be all right. Let's go back to the room." Jobyna kept her clutch on the crutches, gripping them with both hands, moving determinedly to her quarters just along the hallway. She didn't want Luke to find her in the library! The way she felt, she hoped Luke would never find her again! 

She wondered when Luke was planning to break the news to her, how long would it be before the world knew she was promised to Kenrik?

"Help me into the bath," she commanded Ellice as in a daze, thinking of the imposing man who was to be the czar of Chezkovia. Kenrik was not such an ogre, not at all... but she loved Konrad. Dear kind, sweet Konrad. She realized, with a surge of tears, just how much she loved him. His curly golden hair and warm blue eyes came to her mind and she closed her eyes, succumbing to the relaxation of fragrant waters wrapping her body. She wept.

"Princess, are you sure you are all right?" Thirza's words broke into her thoughts. "I think I should send for Doctor Ruprecht."

"No, Thirza, don't! I'll feel better after the bath," Jobyna pleaded. "Wash my hair please."