Chapter Thirty

The Czarevitch left after leaning the door up against the entrance.

    Ellice poked into a trunk, pulling out several dresses.

    Jobyna stared at the couch, thinking of the tiara and the tunic that had been there. They were gone! Where they were, was anyone's guess.

    Draping a dress on the couch, Ellice took the cloth from the edge of the tub and squeezed it out in the cold water. Shivering, Jobyna stared at the tub, wanting to think only of today, not of past memories.

    She was just about to pull the straps of her dress down when a movement from the bedroom caused her to freeze. The door swung around and she screamed uncontrollably.

    Two men, wearing Chezkovian uniforms, leapt out. Jobyna recognized them, recalling their rank and names. One was a Hagen, a knight of Elliad's, and the other was Frewin the spy, the husband of Lora.

    Hagen overpowered Jobyna as she turned towards the exit. His large gnarled hand wrapped around her mouth. Frewin grabbed Ellice, winding rope around her wrists then binding her securely to a chair.

    "Not another peep!" Hagen growled, listening. There were no intruding sounds. He slid his hand slowly from Jobyna's mouth.

    "Please! —Don't hurt Ellice!" Jobyna could think only of her friend. She hoped they were intending to leave her bound, not to kill her.

    Frewin picked Ellice up together with the chair, shutting her in the bedroom.

    Hagen wound a length of rope around Jobyna's wrists, saying, "We don't want to hurt anyone but we need your help to get us out'a here!" As Jobyna struggled against his efforts to secure the rope, he added, "Look! You'd better co-operate and we won't get rough."    

    Jobyna bowed her head and pulled on the rope again. Frewin brought his clenched fist up under her chin, causing her head to jerk backwards.

    "I'm tired of being everyone's hostage!" Jobyna declared, feeling angry and helpless. She felt herself becoming breathless.

    Frewin slapped her soundly, first one cheek then the other. "Just once more and it'll be over!"

    Hagan snatched up one of the towels. Slitting it quickly in two, he sliced the end of it into two narrow strips. He wrapped the wide piece around her neck, using the narrow pieces to tie it. "What's this for?" she asked, light-headed. Her fears suddenly seemed far away.

    "That's so we don't damage you before we have to!" Hagen's growl came to her ears once more. "And don't faint!" He exclaimed, knowing it was too late. He collected her in his arms, "Maybe it'll be easier like this."

    Frewin unbolted the shutters. His darting eyes scanned the path then he swung himself over the ledge and dropped into the garden. As Hagen awkwardly lifted Jobyna down to him, she opened her eyes and began to struggle.

    Frewin let her sprawl on the garden. He squatted down beside her and clenched his fists, "Look, girl! Are you goin' a make this easy or no?"

    Hagen crouched down beside her as well, pleading, "Just get us out o' here and we will let you go! Aye?"

    "How do you think you'll get past the gates?" Jobyna asked.

"Our men will join us when they see you, that's why we need you." Frewin said, then to Hagen, "I don't know why's we's talking to this dumb girl! Let's move it!"

    Jobyna thought of the gates. It would be worthwhile, for Konrad's sake, for everyone, if the gates were opened, left abandoned. Her feeling of helplessness fled.