Chapter 32

Cora paced nervously and looked in the mirror, making sure her hair was just right and her makeup was impeccable. She straightened her blouse for the third time, a little worried that maybe a baby bump was starting to show. She straightened her stockings and checked her teeth. "Where is he" she wondered aloud. She was as nervous as a canary in a room of cats. The doorbell rang. "Finally she breathed. She opened it to find Marcus. He looked excellent in a coat and tie. She grinned at how he was somewhat uncomfortable in it. "Marcus, I'm so glad you came" she threw her arms around him holding him tightly.

"Hi Cora, yep here I am, I'm not sure what you want from me but here I am"

"Well, we are going to eat with my parents."

"Um okay I guess, but first I need to talk to you"

"Okay," his eyes grew serious as she led him to the couch.

"You know all about the terrible thing that happened to me"

"Yes, I recall you talking to me about it and I took you to your doctors' appointments and made sure you didn't do anything stupid."

"That's what I want to talk to you about."

"You lost me."

"Something stupid, oh I hope it wasn't stupid, all those terrible things that happened, I'm pregnant. fourteen weeks now. I'm just about in my fifth month."

"Okay, what does that have..." She put a finger to his lips.

"I know it's asking a lot, probably too much, and if you say no, It's okay there is still time. But I thought that something good had to come out of this, and I'm hoping it's this." She held his hand against her belly. "I know this is a lot to ask, but I want you to be the daddy"

"Cora, that's impossible"

"Will you at least think about it?"

"You want me to..."

"I want you to marry me, I want to keep you, you are a keeper, your strong and smart and you're good, too good for me."

"What are you talking about too good for you, I'm not nearly good enough for you Cora, I'm not rich or well connected"

"Those things don't mean crap to me, Marcus, you are a good man, your kind and gentle and I know that no matter what you will take care of me, and I don't care if I live in a cardboard box on the side of the road as long as I am with you."

"Whoa!" He looked at the tears welling in her eyes and knew that she meant every word. "You're sure?"

Cora nodded unable to speak more than a croak she bit her lip. "Okay" his words caressed her ears for a single moment and she threw herself against him. Kissing his cheek and his neck.

"Thank you she breathed"

"But what about the child"

"I'll tell him if he wants to know when he is grown"

"A him?" he smirked.

"If it's not you can keep trying till you get one" She smiled slyly.

"Okay"

"I love you Marcus"

"You are an amazing girl Cora"

Cora giggled, "not exactly the response I was hoping for but I'll take it, and it gives me something to work on."

"Okay and the rest?"

"Don't worry about the rest we will get married in a couple of months before the baby, and this makes it much easier"

The TutorOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara